Epilogue: The Decades

December 4, 2070

5 decades; 51 years has passed.

     Elira and Jivan were together as they visited Selwyn, "Hey there old friend," Elira smiled. "Happy birthday!" She grinned giving him a bouquet of yellow roses.

"Happy birthday," Jivan said beside Elira.

"It's been a while since, we last talked, I'm sorry I haven't visited for a while," Elira said as she caressed Selwyn's gravestone.

      December 4, 1994 ~ November 9, 2059

     Beloved father and friend

     A tear slipped from her eye and she wiped it as she sat down on the grass staring at the gravestone, "You're 76 now! You still look handsome as ever," Elira said trying to sound happy, she believed Selwyn was listening to her, somewhere, somehow.

"And you're right, I haven't aged a day, so can I hear you say it?" It's been 11 years, but Elira still cries when she visits Selwyn's grave. "Just one more time?" She cries harder.

Jivan sits down beside her, rubbing her back, "You're beautiful," Jivan whispers and she nods smiling.

"Of course I am!" Elira said forcing herself to chuckle, "I'm sorry for crying." She said taking in a breath wiping her tears, "I told myself I wouldn't cry this time," she continued to keep a smile on her face.

"I should tell you what everyone's up to! They wanted to come, but you know how it is in Nura, but they do wish you well," Elira said smiling.

Jivan held her hand to support her, "As you can see me and Jivan are still together," Elira said smiling, "The twins are doing well too, they're in their 50s but they still act like teenagers, they even have their own family! Aricia loves to talk about you with her children! You're still her favorite uncle, isn't that adorable?" Elira giggles.

"I think Amir got his horrible dad jokes from you, now his children hear them every day, they have you to blame," Elira shakes her head. "That's enough about my children, I should tell you about yours ..." Elira takes in a deep breath.

"They're doing just fine, you raised them well," Elira said, "Johnathan is a great cook, just like you, he's been cooking all over the world for the most prestigious restaurants and Elira ... I still can't believe you named her after me," Elira giggles. "She's turning 37, but she's still beautiful, just like her mother ... Isabella, your wife, she's ... She doesn't remember you," Elira tears up.

Isabella, Selwyn's wife was diagnosed with dementia three years ago.

"Her dementia got worse, she doesn't even recognize anyone, and sometimes I think it's a blessing and a curse on her part. At least she's not suffering from missing you. But then, your kids, they're coping well," Elira sighed. "Why did you go so soon? So sudden?"

     Selwyn just died one morning in his sleep, it shocked everyone.

     "I told you, you were going to live as long as me, right?" Elira said and she could feel the tears coming again, "Sorry ..."

Jivan brought her close to his chest trying to calm herself down, "Should I take over?" Jivan asked and Elira nodded resting her head on Jivan's chest.

     When Selwyn died, Elira promised herself she'd still continue to visit Selwyn with stories to tell him as if he was never gone. But, sometimes it was just too much for her and Jivan did what he could to support his wife with her desire to keep a friend close to her heart.

    "Hey Selwyn," Jivan smiled, but he felt like tearing up a little bit too. But he kept it together for Elira.

     During the first year of Elira and Jivan's got marriage, Jivan grew closer to Selwyn since then. He was like an older brother to Jivan. Selwyn's death was a very depressing thing for everyone who knew him. He brought smiles and jokes to people's lives, it was like the world became darker when he left, he was a light.