Chapter 42: The Analyst

June 27, 2018 - 5 days after the ball / 2 days after Jivan woke up

     I just came from Elira's bedroom thinking she was there, but she wasn't. We were supposed to see if she had fully healed and was able to do simple craft spells. Walking around with my waist bandage underneath my clothing was uncomfortable enough and now I had to look for Elira all over the castle.

I was passing by the infirmary when I heard her laughter, but not just hers, Jivan's too.

The door was slightly open and I had a clear view of them. What was she doing here so early in the morning? I was about to go in when I saw Jivan tuck a strand of hair behind Elira's ear and she started blushing. I don't think I can take seeing this.

     Act normal Tristan, I cleared my throat and pushed the door wide open, "Good morning."

Elira jumped and almost fell, but Jivan caught her by the waist, "Tris ... you startled me."

Jivan let go of her and she stood straight, "What brings you here?" I stared at her right hand with the engagement ring, she put her hands behind her back.

"Classes," I said and turned around to walk out when I heard something that I wish I didn't.

"Don't miss me too much!" Jivan said as Elira went out the door with me.

"You wish!" I looked at Elira, she was smiling widely.

"Looks like you're getting along," I said as I walked ahead.

She quickened her pace, "We're just being civil."

     Right, civil. You were blushing and smiling.

     "Alright," I said and turned left heading out of the classes.

"I thought we were just doing simple craft spells?" she asked as we were nearing the maze, "Tris?" I quickly walked through the maze.

"Tristan, is this some kind of special training or something?" I heard her enter the maze, "Please, say something."

"Your enemy won't be as talkative," I said turning right as she was getting close. She went straight.

"Could you at least tell me what's the goal?" I walk past her while she was looking away.

"Find me," I said and continued to make my way to the center of the maze.

     I reached the center of the maze, there was a bust of Elira's great-great-grandmother Queen Alina. This was Alina's Maze after all. I heard her footsteps and went into a path that would bring me to a small fountain. I could see her through the small gaps in the wall made of leaves, she was deciding what path to take until she took a moment to admire the bust.

     "How did you do it?" she said, "How did you rule a kingdom at the age of 22?"

     She sighed and continued her task to find me. She looked at my direction and I quickly walked away. Out of my ambition to get farther away from her, I didn't look where I was going and tripped on a root bulging from the ground. I landed on my stomach, hitting the spot of my wound. I tried my best to not make a sound but I couldn't, I let out a groan.

"Tristan?" I heard her call and I tried crawling away, knowing she was just behind the bush to my left.

But, the wound was making it difficult to even move an inch. I honestly, can't believe a drow got the best of me with an illusion spell.

     A girl drow with white eyes walked closer to me and I stared at her eyes, but then I blinked and she was gone from my sight. I look around and she wasn't anywhere, there wasn't drow anywhere, and there was no one, what's going on?