Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

Lillian

While days that felt like months began to pass, the anxiety and excitement of leaving the hospital was enough to keep her sane. The days seemed to drag on, while the television in the hospital room only contained so many channels, and the hours for visitation only lasted so long. The nights seemed to be the worst, however, given that the twin sized bed felt as hard as a rock, and the pillow did not provide enough neck support. Therefore when the day came that Lillian would finally be released from the hospital, she was more than excited to go home, although she was very nervous given that she did not know what her home even looked like; or what she would be walking into.

With each step taken, Lillian continued to wonder what the next few days - months even, would look like. She hadn't a clue on what her life was going to look like, given that her memory of the past year and a half was gone. Everything seemed so confusing, however, Lillian was willing to give it a chance; no matter how difficult the process may be.

"You ready?" Her father asked as they walked into the small two bedroom apartment that Lillian had never seen before.

"I think so, this is where we live?"

"For the moment," Phil nodded. "This is just temporary. I immediately rented this place once I realized that I will not be able to return back to Italy anytime soon."

"Oh," Lillian frowned. "I'm sorry."

"Shit," Phil groaned, realizing the words that he had spoken. "I didn't mean it like that."

Lillian nodded, although she knew that she was potentially at fault within the situation. She knew that her father was forced to move back in order to take care of her, and although she knew that he wanted to, she could not help but feel guilty.

"To be completely honest, I did not like Italy very much."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Phil chuckled. "It never really felt like a home to me, I could never get used to it. Australia will always be my home. I'm working on selling the house in Italy, so whenever it is that I receive that money I will move us into a better house."

"Oh, okay." Lillian smiled sadly, not knowing what else she should say.

"Anyways," Phil said, immediately changing the subject. "Go on up to your room. It's down the hall to the left."

Without saying anything, Lillian gave a simple nod and was on her way. Once she made it to her room, she looked through each and every corner of the bedroom.

The walls were plain white, however it was a subtle color white. There was a small twin sized bed in the right corner of the room, while a tall dresser was placed across from where the bed sat. There was a body sized mirror on the back of the door, and the closet was fairly roomy.

Sighing, Lillian sat on the bed and wished things could be different. Although she had no memory of what her life contained before the accident, she wished that she could go back. The room she sat in was dull, just like the emotions she was feeling. Nothing felt right.

A knock on the door interrupted Lillian from her thoughts. Her head perked up, as she stared at the closed door for a full ten seconds.

"Come in," her voice echoed through the room.

Slowly, the door opened, and in walked Luke. He smiled sadly, and although Lillian wanted to ask why he looked sad, she already knew. There was no reason to ask, he was sad because of her. It appeared to be that all she ever did anymore was make people sad.