Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Luke

The smile on this girls face doesn't just show happiness. After working with her for awhile on the maths that she was having difficulty with, she finally began to understand it. Lillian is smart, she just doesn't realize it yet. Her closed mouth smile isn't just a smile of happiness, its a smile of satisfaction.

Putting down his pen, Luke smiled at the two finished paragraphs for the two photos he had of Lillian.

They hadn't hung out since that day at the park a couple of days ago, and Luke wanted to change that. He found himself getting more nervous around Lillian, so he didn't know how to bring it up. Last time, it just kind of happened..

"Luke?" A girl in his science class interrupted him from his thoughts. He turned to face her, wondering what she could possibly want. Lisa was her name, he thought.

"Yeah?"

"Did you get the answer to number eight?" She asked, looking just as out of it as Luke was.

He looked down at his blank paper. "Uhh, no. Sorry," he mumbled sheepishly.

Before Lisa could say anything else, the bell rang. It was only third period, so Luke was still completely out of it.

"Luke!" Michael yelled from down the hall. Calum was standing next to him, both boys had huge grins on their faces. Luke knew this was about to be good.

"We got a gig!" Calum excitedly said.

"I wanted to tell him that!" Michael whined.

"You always are the one to break the news! I wanted to do it this time."

"But - "

"Chill!" Luke interrupted with a laugh. "Where's the gig at?"

"It's at a country club in Melbourne. It'll be quite a drive, but there will be a shit ton of people." Michael informed Luke, before Calum even had the chance to.

Just as Luke was about to say something else, he was cut off by the bell.

"Shit! I gotta go. See you guys later!" He told his friends, before taking off running down the opposite direction of the hallway.

-

"Mum, why are you making me go to this?" Luke groaned as Liz finished her hair.

"Because hun, Mrs. Hathaway's daughter has a piece in the show and I promised we'd be there to support her." Liz explained.

Another groan escaped from Luke's mouth, making his mum slap him upside the head.

"I don't even talk to her daughter though. Why should I have to go?"

"I'm tired of you locking yourself in your room all the time. It's time to get out and do something," Liz explained further.

Luke knew his mum wasn't going to change her mind, so he stopped arguing. It took awhile for him to move from his spot in bed, but when he finally did, all he wanted to do was collapse onto his mattress again.

Liz sat at the dining room table with Andrew until Luke came downstairs. He nodded to his mum, signaling that he was ready to leave. Even though he didn't want to go to this stupid art show that his neighbor was featured in, he knew he had to. Mum's orders.

When they got there, Luke lazily walked around as he looked at all the art. When he realized that there was a photography section, he sneakily ditched Liz so he could go check it out.