The Way You Come Up With Names

ابدأ من البداية

There is a knock on the door and a tall man in a white coat appears into the room. He smiled at the two men, and then his dark brown eyes moved to the small dog wagging his tail madly on the table.

“Good morning,” the man says, his voice full of a kind warmth that put everyone at ease. “My name is Dr. Matthews, and this handsome little guy must be Aremis.”

Tyler stood up and took a few steps forward, shaking the vet’s hand once he offered it and introducing himself, Ethan hopped up seconds after him, following his boyfriend's lead, though he offered the man a smile, which he returned. Dr. Matthews moved towards the table, not even bothering with the mostly blank report stuck to his clipboard. He gently ran his fingers over Aremis’ head, stroking his ears with his fingers.

“He's absolutely gorgeous. A little bit of excess hair around his legs, but other then him getting a little more dirty I don't see any problem with his coat.” The dog pushed his head closer to the vet’s touch, almost like what a cat would do. “Very friendly I can see. And you just found this guy wandering around the woods?”

“He just kind of came up to us while we were walking around the lake,” Ethan answered. “We were thinking he was some sort of show dog with how pretty he is.”

Dr. Matthews hummed as he continued to pet Aremis, the long fingers now scratching behind his ears. The dog grunted happily from all of the attention he was getting from all three of the men.

“Well he definitely has husky blood with the blue eyes and ears, but he’s smaller than the breed is normally. Perhaps a bit of Pomeranian is in him too.”

The doctor placed his hands on the canines lower jaw and gently opened his mouth.

“By the teeth he’s a adult. About three or four from my estimate.”

“What’s that in human years?” Ethan asked brightly, which caused the doctor to chuckle.

“The whole seven years thing is a misnomer, but if this little guy was a person I’d say late teens to early twenties. I’m able to check him for a microchip to see if anyone comes up as an owner.”

At the reminder that the little dog may belong to someone else the smile on Ethan's face dropped, though he tried his best to fake one afterwards, but Tyler of course saw through it. He sat his hand back on his thigh, rubbing it slowly as he sent the younger man a soft smile, leaning over to lightly peck his cheek.

“I'll have to take him into a different room to have him scanned for any chips.” Dr. Matthews spoke up after a minute, he had caught the change of mood in the room and gave the young couple a moment to themselves. Ethan looked up when he spoke to them, slowly nodding with his exaggerated smile still pulling at his lips.

“Of course.” The vet smiled, gently lifting Aremis into his arms, cradling him against his chest before leaving the room through the door he entered in, promising to be back in no more than five minutes. When the door shut Ethan's smile dropped again, his face twisting into an upset frown.

“It's okay baby, even if he is someone else's we can always get another. I know how much you love puppies, and Mark's dog is having some soon so-”

“I want this one, I know I probably sound like a whinny brat but I really really like him.” Tyler sighed, pulling Ethan against his chest so he could hold him close, stroking his hair soothingly.