Chapter 21: The Ways of the Wolf

"How is she doing?" Emmeryn asked as she stepped into the room.

My eyes flicked up to her. The Alpha looked absolutely exhausted; like she was up all night. I wanted to reply, but I couldn't speak. My body was still sore and it hurt to move, but I was slowly recovering.

Being in a new body was difficult. I had to relearn everything that came naturally to me like sitting, moving my arms, and even eating. I still did not know how to walk in my wolf form. Chrom had been teaching and helping me get used to my new form. It was a slow process, but I was coming along.

"She's better than before," Chrom replied for me. "I've managed to get her to sit and eat a few pieces of meat. Other than that, nothing has changed."

Emmeryn nodded. "Do you know if she is feeling any pain?"

As she said that, another, dull pulse of pain shot through my veins. I whimpered as it happened.

"I supposed as much..." The Alpha sighed. "I expect this to last for another few days. Until then, we must keep a constant eye on her. Has she tried shifting?"

Chrom shook his head. "I'm afraid that doing that would put too much strain on her."

The prince had been my constant companion throughout all of this. He hasn't left my bedside at all. I longed to see my friends, but Chrom was afraid of me being overwhelmed by all the attention and worry. Lissa has popped in every now and then to drop things off and check up on me, but that was about it.

"You're right." Emmeryn ran a hand through her long, blonde locks. "Just keep her safe and comfortable. Take baby steps with her."

I hate not being able to talk... I barked softly. Why am I even trying?

"I will, Emm. I promise," Chrom said, scratching my head. The nice scratching sensation tingled pleasantly, and I flattened my ears to show that.

Emmeryn turned to me. "I am very proud of you, Anna. You have proven yourself more than worthy of being Luna." Her words were music to my ears. "We are currently arranging your living arrangements. They should be done within a week. However, I want to keep you here until you have fully recovered."

I bowed my head in thanks. I really hope she understands what I'm trying to say...

She smiled. "I shall see you two soon. Have a nice evening." With that, she left.

You know, I haven't actually seen myself! All I know is that my fur is the same color as my hair and I have white paws, but I wonder what I really look like. I turned to Chrom. Crap. How the hell do I tell him?

I barked, poking his arm with my snout. "What is it?" he asked. Well, we got somewhere. Now how to communicate this...

It was hard to move due to the stiffness and pain, but I managed. I barked some more, looking at my arms and any other part I could with my head. "Are you hurting? Do you want me to call Emm back?"

I let out an annoyed huff. Gods, this is so hard! I couldn't think of anything else to do, so I put my paw on his arm, hoping it would do something.

He stared into my eyes, processing what I was trying to say. Then, it clicked. "Oooh! Do you want to see yourself?"

I barked happily, nodding.