"I'll be fine," he promised, patting her back. She hadn't supported his decision of volunteering, but he didn't see why, when it was what everyone did.  "Hey Mom, please don't worry, okay? I'll fight my way back to you. We'll have a mansion at Victor's Village and Smelly Gabe can live in the shed."

She laughed, pulling away. But her smile died quickly, "Percy, I want you to promise me something."

His mother had done everything for him. She was the kindest person he knew, so of course he would always do anything she asked of him. "Anything," he said readily.

"Don't kill anyone."

Whatever he thought he'd hear, it couldn't be farther than what she'd said. He could only stare, her words alien, "Not...kill anyone?" It went against the whole rule of the Games. If he didn't kill, he'd be killed.

"Yes," she insisted. "Only if you...really have to. I couldn't stand it if — if I knew that you had to kill someone in the Arena..." She broke down in tears, which she tried her best to keep in.

Percy touched her shoulder, "Okay, Mom. Mom. I promise, okay? I promise I won't kill anyone if I don't need to."

She nodded shakily, wiping a tear from her cheek. "Alright. Are you going to team with the other Careers?"

He wasn't sure what to answer. "I-I think so. It was my plan, since I'd have a better chance of surviving, but if you don't want me to..."

"No, do whatever you need to do," she murmured, covering her face. "But remember your promise. Please."

"I will," he vowed. "Will you be okay with Smelly Gabe?"

She laughed. "You don't have to worry about me." His mother gave him a kiss on the forehead, "I love you, Percy."

"Love you too, Mom."

◼▲◼

The second the Peacekeeper ushered his tearful parents out of the room, his brother Connor came rushing in.

They shared a long hug, in which Travis was the first to pull away. "Don't worry about me," he told Connor firmly, "you can't do anything, so there's no point in it."

Connor nodded, sniffing. "I got you something." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a wide steel ring. It was simple and old, and had rubbed out words carved along the side. Travis didn't recognize it, so it must've been stolen.

"I got it from the market," Connor explained, confirming his suspicions. He dropped it into his waiting palm. "It can be your token. It doesn't mean anything, but..." he lowered his voice, "you could give someone a nasty punch with it."

Travis grinned, "Thanks, Con. Good thinking."

"Tell me you'll do anything to win," his brother demanded.

He hadn't said to promise, because what did a promise mean anyway? It was just a word you used to get others to trust you.

"Of course I will."

And as Connor nodded, satisfied, Travis felt the line between morality and desperation blur even further.

When it was time for him to leave, Travis examined the ring he'd slipped on his hand. He still couldn't figure out what the words said, but it was just as well. It would sure match his personality.

◼▲◼

Luke paced the room, wondering if his mother would come to visit him.

She was his only remaining family member, after his dad had abandoned them by disappearing into the forest and never coming out again.

Luke had been nine years old.