Chapter Fifty Eight

Both Bishop and Jaydon looked a bit ashamed as I stared at them. "Fighting?" I repeated again. Jaydon caught the dangerous undertone in my voice.

"Yeah. We were bored," he explained lamely. Then I noticed his nose and the blood on his lip.

I turned accusingly to Bishop. "Did you do that to him?" I asked. He shrugged, but he didn't look at all apologetic. I rolled my eyes. Boys. "Go get cleaned up, Jay," I said softly. "Y'all can explain to me exactly what happened later." As he started to walk away I added, much less gently, "and later means in my room in five minutes. Got it?"

They both nodded and Jay headed off. Bishop followed me into my room. I almost wanted to snap at him to wait outside, but I kept myself from doing that. He was probably worried about Ariana, and I didn't want to make him feel bad. So I let him come inside as I sprawled out on my bed, propping my head up with my elbows. He sat down on my windowseat, looking at me.

After only a few seconds I could take it no longer. "How are you holding up?" I asked softly. How long would it take Jaydon to clean up? I was afraid that if I was alone with Bishop for more than three minutes he might kiss me again. Or I might kiss him. Or something.

"Not so great," he replied, and I could see the torture in his eyes. "I want to go see her, and I feel bad about not, but I can't bear seeing her in pain. I wish she would decide. I don't want to hold any false hope that she'll get better."

I didn't know what to say to that. Thankfully that was the moment that Jaydon chose to walk in. He shot a glare at Bishop. "Knock that off," I ordered. I pointed at the foot of my bed and Jaydon reluctantly sat down. "Okay," I said, pulling both of their attention to me. "Okay. Now one of you explain to me what the heck happened before I showed up."

"Well we don't always get along, you know," Jaydon said. "So we were wondering where you were and talking, and then we just started fighting."

"Cole showed up to break it up," Bishop continued the story.

"And he busted me in the nose," Jaydon said. "Then he said to knock it off and that's when you showed up." I raised my eyebrows and looked at both of them. I got the feeling that they were leaving something out, but I also didn't feel like pressing them to find out what.

"Well you guys better not fight any more, got it?" I snapped at them. "The next time I see either of you beat up at all, unless one of the other boys tells me different, I'm going to assume that you two have been at it again, and then I'm going to kick both of your butts. Now get out of my room!" Both of them were still staring at me when there was another knock on my door.

"Sera," Jenni called. "Ariana's made up her mind."

With that all three of us dashed out of the room, Bishop in the lead. Jenni led the way to Ariana's room. When we got there everybody was gathered outside her room. "She's talking to Patricia right now," Cole explained to the rest of us. He cast an uncertain look at Bishop and Jaydon, and then noticed that the two of them appeared to be getting along, at least for the moment.

We all stood there, guessing on what she had decided. A few minutes later the door opened and we all filed solemly inside.