Chapter Two

"Wake up, sleepyhead!" Three voices chorused together in my ear, the most childish of the three breaking out into giggles as they finished. I groaned and tossed my pillow at them, causing the other two to join the merriment.

"Wake up means open your eyes, dingaling," a male voice informed me. "Not start a pillow fight." I rolled over and slowly opened my eyes to take in the three fools who sought to wake me.

"Why do I have to get up?" I asked them grumpily. Jaydon gave me a faint smile as he plopped his tall self down at the foot of my bed.

"It's called school," my best friend, Jenni, told me. I rolled my eyes and turned back over, choosing to ignore the three. Of course it was a mistake, as usual. The next thing I felt was three pairs of hands tickling me. And sadly these three knew all of my most ticklish spots. Within seconds I was writhing and twisting, lashing out. They withdrew, leaving me breathless.

"That was completely uncalled for!" I grumbled.

"Well it was Lanie's idea," Jaydon said, fake tattling as usual. I glared up at him, meeting his bright green eyes. I'm not an idiot, my gaze told him. He gave me his usual crooked grin, revealing the dimple in his left cheek. I stuck my tongue out at him before turning my attention to Jenni and Lanie.

"Why do we have to go to school?" I complained. Jenni smiled at me as she pulled her black hair up into a ponytail, her gray eyes sparkling. "We're werewolves! Can't we just stay home?" Yes, I am a werewolf. And yes, I know that that is highly unusual.

"You know that we have to, silly," she said. "Do you really want to have to make up even more hours than are already on your record?" I stopped dead at that. I absolutely hated making up hours, even more than I hated regular old school. Who wanted to stay afterwards or show up on a Saturday to do nothing but stare at the walls around them because they do their homework and make up work and turn it in on time? Definitely not me.

"No," I finally answered. "Now get out of my room so I can get ready!" Jenni smiled and got halfway to the door before she realized that Jaydon wasn't following her. She shooed Lanie, the blonde little angel, out before her as she started back for her brother. Lanie was her sibling too, although she had been adopted by their late father.

"I'm pretty sure that means she wants you out too, you imbecil," she informed him, grabbing his arm. He was older than her by a year, but that didn't stop her from bossing him around all of the time. She jerked on him, maybe a tad bit more roughly than was necessary, and he got begrudgingly to his feet. "Don't take too long," she reminded me as she shut the door behind them.

"Yeah, hurry up, Serafina! You can come to school in just what you're wearing right now!" Jaydon yelled through the door. I heard him intake a sharp breath; his sister had smacked him. Ah, good old Jenni.

I glanced down at my attire as I made my way to my closet. Jaydon was such a dork. There was no way I would ever wear shorts as short as these were to school, not to mention that my spaghetti strap shirt broke the dress code. No, jeans and a simple t-shirt with a leather jacket were what I preferred. I refused to dress like the trashy white girls.

After I dressed I yanked a brush through my long chocolaty locks before gathering my hair into a side ponytail. A touch of glimmering blue eyeshadow and a twirl of the mascara brush and I was ready to face the day. I braced myself for any type of attack as I turned the doorknob. With my friends, who knew what sort of surprise who could be waiting for me?

As it turned out, it was only Jaydon, who immediately put on his best pouty face as he took in what I was wearing. "I thought I told you not to change!" he complained.

"Oh, shut up, Jay," I muttered. "Do you want to school thinking that your sister's best friend is a slut?" He paused at that, looking slightly thoughtful.

"I guess not," he replied slowly. "Now come on, Jenni just finished making some bacon and eggs for breakfast. We have seven minutes to eat before we have to leave. The rest of the pack is already gone." I gaped at him. Only seven minutes? Why hadn't they woken me up earlier?

Eight minutes later we were all piling into the champagne colored pickup truck. Jaydon was driving, a fact which still sometimes scared me. Lanie, Jenni and I were all crammed into the back, with Samuel, a twelve year old, riding shotgun. The trip to the middle school only took five minutes, Jaydon going ten over the speed limit as usual. We waved to Lanie and Samuel as they disappeared inside, off to fourth and seventh grade respectively.

"Drive faster, Jay, we're going to be late!" Jenni screeched as she leapt into the shotgun seat, shutting the door tightly. Jaydon got a slightly wicked smile on his face as he pressed in the accelerator. Jenni cast a quick glance at the speedometer and hastened to fasten her seatbelt. "Faster does not mean twenty over," she informed him. "Slow down before we get pulled over!"

"Well sorry," he replied sarcastically. "I thought you didn't want to be late."

"You can drive fifteen over and still get us there in plenty of time," she said. Yes, I realize that is still quite a bit over the speed limit. But we're sort of speed demons. Going fast is like a drug to us, and Jaydon is most definitely addicted.

We breezed through the school doors just as the first bell rang. I had anticipated not having time to go to my locker, and luckily my first period class was Drama. My script was always in my backpack. Jaydon waved as he slipped off, joining up with Mark and Ryan, the two oldest school-attending members of the pack.

Most packs don't have as many young ones as we do, but we're just special, I suppose. Of course, we also tend to take in werewolf children that we find in orphanages or wandering around on the streets. But they're safer with us than out where a transformation can take them by surprise and they might accidentally injure somebody.

The day passed as normally as ever. Jaydon, Mark, Peter, and Ryan got this close to starting a food fight at lunch, but luckily Jenni and I got them to stop before we got into any trouble. Other than lunch, the day dragged by. We all hopped joyfully in the car and went to pick up Lanie and Samuel.

After a car ride home with loud rock music blasting out the windows, we pulled into the driveway of our rather large house. In fact, it might have classified as a mansion. As we entered, we noticed Steve and Patricia, our two leaders, sitting at the large dining room table with Mark and Ryan, all looking very solemn.

"Come sit down," Patricia said. We hurried to do as she requested, wondering what the heck was going on. "You know how we were going to bring in some foster children? Well, there's something you should know about them. They aren't any old children. They're vampires."