Chapter Twenty Two

"That's it!" I screamed as Ariana hurried out of the room. "Mark, Ryan, who said you guys could come in here?" Peter paused halfway out the door, unsure whether he wanted to follow his girlfriend or listen to me chew them out.

"What, Serafina?" Mark asked before erupting into another fit of coughing.

"Yeah, Sera," Ryan agreed. "Jaydon and Jenni are both in here."

"And two people in my bathroom is enough!" I burst. "You guys can go hang out in one of your rooms. I'm leaving mine to these two, and I'm stealing Jaydon's. Now get out of here! I don't want to get sick, and you guys are too close for comfort." They rolled their eyes at me but pushed past Peter and made their way down the stairs.

"I'm going to go find Ariana," Peter said. "I'll come check on these guys later, you can go down to Jaydon's room and get some sleep if you want to." I nodded and he left.

Once he was gone I snatched a few more pillows and blankets from my bed and carried them into the bathroom. Wrinkling my nose, I tucked two pillows under Jenni's head. She was slowly regaining consciousness, so I turned to Jaydon while I waited for her to come to. He looked so adorable when he was asleep, a sort of gentleness to his face that he never had when he was awake. Of course, his snoring sort of ruined it.  Doing my best not to wake him, I tucked one more pillow underneath his head.

"Sera?" I heard a quiet voice whisper from behind me. I turned around to see Jenni's eyes open, and she was gazing around in confusion. "Why am I lying on your bathroom floor?"

"You fainted so we brought you up here," I replied. "And you're sick, so you're staying here with your brother. Mark and Ryan are too."

Her eyes widened. "So you mean that whatever he-" she gestured at her brother, "has, everyone else in the pack is getting it too? Including me?" I nodded. "And you?" she asked, snatching a fuzzy blanket from the pile I had deposited at her brother's side.

"Nope, I'm not sick yet," I said with a slightly evil grin. "And I plan to stay in Jay's room so that I stay that way. You guys can wallow in misery by yourselves. Peter will come to check on you later, and I bet that Patricia will be in and out of here all day long."

"Fine, be that way," Jenni said jokingly.

"I will." I flashed her a smile as I draped another blanket over her feverish brother. He mumbled in his sleep and rolled over. I reached out and touched his forehead lightly. He was burning up, hotter than he had been a few hours before. I made a face as I stood up. "Call someone if he gets any worse, or if you feel worse, all right?" Jenni nodded and then I quickly slipped out of the bathroom and made my way down to Jay's room. As soon as my head touched his cool pillows I was asleep.

~~~

"Sera!" Lanie's frantic voice woke me up. I leapt out of bed, feeling a bit disorientated at first.

"What's wrong?" I asked, suddenly remembering that Jenni, Jay, Mark and Ryan were all sick. Was someone else ill? Had someone gottten worse? My mind was on overdrive, beginning to generate horrible scenarios.

Thankfully Lanie interrupted my overactive imagination. "Patricia wants you up in your room. Something about Jaydon and Jenni. Peter is checking in on Mark and Ryan."

"All right," I said, and even I heard the worry creeping into my voice. Could Jaydon have gotten worse? I hurried out of Jaydon's room and up the stairs, reaching my room in under two minutes. That was most likely a new record for me. I shoved open my door and took five quick strides across the room to the bathroom. The door was ajar, and so I pushed it open and entered.

"Hey Serafina," Patricia said as soon as she saw me. She was crouched on the floor beside Jay. Jenni was sitting up in the corner, drinking some chicken soup out of a mug. She gave me a weak smile and then turned her gaze back to her brother.

"You wanted me up here?" I tried to sound a bit annoyed to hide my worry. After all, she was sitting on the ground next to Jay and he looked pretty...not awake to me.

"I need your help with him," Patricia said. "He's gotten way worse. He can't lay on your bathroom floor anymore. Do you want him in your bed or down in his room?" I glanced at Jenni. She lifted her shoulders the tiniest bit.

"Oh just put him in my bed," I said, stooping to rest my hand on his forehead for a second. He was even hotter than before. "His bed is too comfy for me to give up." Patricia nodded and looped her arms underneath his. I grabbed his legs and then we carried him to my bed, pulling a blanket over him.