Chapter Forty Two

I woke up to see Bishop sitting next to me. I was cold, and damp, and, was I in the treehouse? Yes I was. "Why are you here? What happened?" I asked, pushing myself up into a sitting position. I shivered slightly, without meaning to. Bishop reached out and handed me my sweatshirt. I took it from him with a slight smile and pulled it on, sinking into its warmth. "So would you please tell me now what happened? All I remember is opening the door and taking about ten steps before, well, before nothing."

"I found some werewolf male dragging you off," Bishop told me slowly. So I got you away from him and told him to leave you-- well, I got you away from him and then brought you back here to get you out of the rain until you woke up." I noticed when he broke off in midsentence, but I didn't say anything about it.

"Well, um, thank you," I said slowly, looking down. "I'm going to go back to the house and change out of these wet clothes." I glanced up to see him flash me the tiniest hint of a smile. I got up and walked out of the room, hoping that he would follow me, for two reasons. I didn't want him to stay alone in my tree house, and I also did not want to walk alone back to the house after someone had tried to kidnap me in this very place earlier.

And Bishop did follow me. We went to the house in silence, but it was a comfortable silence, not awkward or anything. And I didn't feel the need to break it with meaningless words; neither did Bishop. I didn't say one single word, not even when I left Bishop to go to my room.

I changed into a pair of basketball shorts and a black t-shirt. I wasn't planning on leaving the house for the rest of the day, so there was no need for warm clothes. With a sigh I flopped down on my bed and reached for the remote to my TV. It had been a gift from Steve and Patricia three years ago; they knew how much I loved to just curl up and watch movies and shows whenever I wanted to escape from reality.

I turned it on, finally locating reruns of JAG. It was old enough that it wasn't on the air anymore, sure, but I still liked it. So I wrapped my fuzzy blanket around my shoulders and settled down for the long run. Reaching into the top drawer of my nightstand, I pulled out a package of Oreos and a bottle of water. I kept everything stored there, just in case I got into a fight with one of the others and didn't want to run the risk of running into them.

I watched maybe two or three episodes before there was a quiet knock on my door. "Who is it?" I grumbled, taking another sip of water. I did not want to be disturbed. The door opened and I couldn't help but recall a scene from the Cosby Show. "When I say who is it, that doesn't mean come in," I said, quoting Bill without looking. "When I say who is it, you say who it is."

"Who it is," came the smart aleck reply, and I rolled my eyes as I saw Jaydon standing in my doorway. He smiled as he shut the door behind him.

"What do you want?" I asked as he sat down on the other side of my bed.

"I want to escape from Lanie and Sam. Jenni told them I was the "unstoppable horse" again. They don't give up, and Jenni said I had to crawl from one side of the house to the other. They got Bishop to help them. Remind me why that bloodsucker is in our house, again?"

"Jay, will you shut up? I thought we all had agreed that they weren't bloodsuckers. Well, obviously they're vampires, but that's all. No derogatory terms required."

"What's got you so riled up?" he said, straightforward and rudely curious as always.

"Nothing," I mumbled in reply. I really didn't want to discuss my nightmare and Bishop's rescue of me with him at that moment.

"Come on, Sera," he said, slinging an arm around my shoulders. "You know I won't tell anyone, and you know you can trust me. Besides, if you tell me then I will shut up and be silent while watching JAG. I won't even complain when you start yelling at the screen." I stuck my tongue out at him; of course he had to bring up my habit.

"Fine. I had a nightmare and then some rogue or something tried to kidnap me and Bishop saved me and now all I want to do is sit, eat Oreos and watch JAG, but you have to come busting in here and disturb me."

"Whoa," Jaydon commented. "First off, I had no idea that you had had a nightmare. Sorry. And second, when were you planning on telling the rest of us that a rogue tried to kidnap you?" I shrugged. I hadn't really thought about telling anybody that I had almost been kidnapped, I had been too eager to forget the whole incident.

"Well come on, we're going to go tell Steve and Patricia right now."

"Jay, can't I at least finish this episode first? Come on! They're about to kiss."

"Sera, you are such a foolish romantic. Besides, I thought you hated Brumby."

"No, she's going to kiss Harm. There's only ten minutes left. Please?" I turned and made my eyes as big as possible, forcing my lips into a pout and trying to look as sweet as possible. He looked ready to drag me downstairs by my feet, but finally he gave in.

"After this episode," he slowly agreed. "But as soon as it's over...."

"Yeah yeah yeah," I grumbled. "Now shut up and let me enjoy this, okay?" He fell silent and watched it with me, stealing a few of my Oreos to keep him entertained so that he wouldn't feel the need to say something and make me mad. As the ending theme played, he leaned over and switched the TV off before hauling me to my feet.

"All right, let's go." I sighed but set my water bottle down and followed him downstairs.