LXXVIII- That Night

As they stepped carefully off of the train onto the platform of the Hogwarts Express, Diana and Luke both mentally prepared themselves for the coming conversations. Diana dreaded explaining to Professor Dumbledore why it was that she had transferred out of the Auror Office. There was definitely going to be a lot of discussion coming up, which was sure to be awkward and shameful, seeing as it would likely come up during a conversation. Not to mention, Diana hadn't arrived until dinner time. She and Luke stepped off of the train, feeling unsure of everything that was coming up. It was a nerve wracking yet exhilarating sensation. Luke Castellan was more nervous than Diana, of course.
  "You're sure you don't want me to wait outside or anything?" he asked.
  Diana shook her head dismissively. "No, you're like family. At least, to me you are. They should recognize that," she said a bit more confidently than she truly felt.
  "Well, thank you, Diana, but I can't help but feel like I'm intruding. And there's a lot to think about. What house will I join, for dinner, and where will I stay once you go back?" He asked.  "Not to mention, everyone here must hate me, and rightfully so," he pointed out.
  "Calm down, sweetie, we've handled worse. One step at a time, okay?" she sighed. "We can make it through anything."
  Luke nodded slowly. "You're right, as usual."

Entering the castle hadn't been as smooth and easy as Diana had hoped. Filch was of course a pain in the ass, especially towards Diana, holding her responsible for the trains arrival time and Luke's coming there, going off about Dark wizards and smuggling and ungrateful young people and such, as he usually would. Diana was of course not wearing uniform, seeing as she did not have one packed with her. As she walked into the Great Hall, Luke walking in with her, confusing many of both the students and staff. Nonetheless, almost everyone had applauded and cheered for her return. Even the constantly brooding and sullen Professor Snape had contributed with a light and classy applause and a hidden smirk of a smile. Diana, with Luke quietly behind her, gave her fair share of high fives and handshakes and smiles. Many found Luke Castellan's long and jagged to be intimidating and off putting, which he picked up on immediately, and was completely used to. They walked toward Dumbledore's intimidating seat at the staff table.
  "Headmaster," Diana nodded politely as Luke nervously bowed, unsure of what to do.
  "Mr. Castellan. We do not do that here," Dumbledore waved him off dismissively yet with courtesy.

He nodded, knowing that he had already embarrassed himself. Luke was not at all accustomed to being addressed as a 'Mister'. Just then did he realized that he had never introduced himself to this wise and intimidating old man.
  "Yes, I do of course know your name. I was given a description of yourself by your former camp mates, and I am completely aware of your place in both Diana's life and the war on Kronos. Before either of you are inclined to speak, I should let you know that I have made up my mind in that you, Luke Castellan, will not be punished by Wizarding laws, however, the way that you can and will be socially condemned is uncertain. You are unfortunately begrudgingly welcome upon this campus and anywhere within its vicinity, although I definitely would try not to test my welcome if I were you.  I do not have much of a quarrel with you, although I could not say the same for the rest of the staff and students here along with our allies and law enforcement. I am merely required to uphold their will. Now then, now that my little spiel is out of the way, let us welcome back our beloved Diana Black," he beamed.
  Diana nodded. "Thank you, Professor Dumbledore. I must thank you for constantly bending over backwards to assist and support me. The Ministry internship was fantastic, and it wouldn't have been possible if it hadn't been for you."
  "No need, Miss Black. I only do my best to reveal true talent, intellect, and diligence," he smiled happily. "I would be more than proud to call you one of my former students."
  "Uh, 'former students'?" Diana asked nervously.
  "Yes, my dear. After your transfer request, Head of Department Greyhill has nominated you for a Premature Promotion, which is absolutely not something to be taken lightly. Upon your arrival, your Ceremony will be held as soon as possible," the man announced.
  Diana nearly flinched at the name. "Thank you, so much sir, but I don't understand," Diana said, confused.
  "Diana," Albus Dumbledore began,  eyes twinkling kindly, "You're graduating, non mandated final exams."
  Diana stared in disbelief, barely able to comprehend the words. "What?"
  "You're graduating, all of school, dear, without having to take your finals."
  Diana gasped involuntarily in complete shock. "Oh my God.... Merlin's pants, I'm graduating. I could get a real job!"
  "Yes. It seems lately you've been receiving a decent amount of good news. I'm happy to tell you, there's more where that came from."
  Diana's face and eyes lit up. "There's more? By all means, please," she laughed.
  "Do you remember your case in the Auror's Office from two months ago? The Lilianna Heavens case?" Dumbledore asked.
  Diana nodded immediately. "Of course, how could I forget? I got to lead that case, and that poor woman, Lili...."
  "Well, I'm pleased to say that Ms. Heavens is doing much better now, financially as well. Her cousin's estate proposal didn't fall through as expected. She even found some free time for herself and looked into the mysterious young woman who not only saved her life, but her boyfriend and son's, and found a sense of justice and peace for her bereaved family. She was in awe of how young you are, naturally, and called into the Ministry. Diana, you were nominated for a Medal of Chivalry," the Headmaster said proudly.
  Diana laughed gleefully. "What? Chivalry? Me? I was just.... doing my job," Diana Black pointed out. "What about all of the other Aurors on the case?"
  "Yes, they worked very well also.... but they didn't sing her son to bed the night he was almost murdered. They didn't sit with Lili Heavens through her therapy session, or support her when she refused to cure her trauma with magical remedies," he pointed out. "You went above and beyond on that case, along with all of the others. Well done, Diana. A job very well done, in fact."
  Diana chuckled happily. "My God. Thank you. Thank you, sir."
  "You needn't thank me, or anyone else. This was all your doing," Professor Dumbledore assured her. "You deserve this. Now go on, go greet your friends and family."

Diana walked away from that table with Luke, having never heard that sentence said ever before in all her life, at least about something good. 'You deserve this.' The last time Diana had heard that sentence.... her and Harry's Uncle Vernon had been beating her with his thick and horrible worn brown leather belt, with the almost equally thick metal buckle, as he and the awfully spoiled Dudley took turns, as Aunt Petunia smiled coldly and without remorse, serving them ice cold and sweet lemonade and warm chocolate chip cookies, which Diana had remembered so well since that was what she and Harry had wanted so badly on that warm and breezy spring day. The memory of that entire day had been burned into both of their minds. That day was the only day of their childhoods that Harry Potter could not have ran, and Diana Black could not have fought. They were, terribly enough, only about four or maybe five years old that day. From then on, they had both learned that to not run and to not fight would be the end of both of them. But for the rest of that day, neither Diana or Harry had concentrated on such horrific and gruesome details of their childhood. Together again for the first time in more than half of a year, Diana and Harry only remembered the sweet and pleasant family aspects of their past; the playing in the snow and the occasional hot cocoa during the winter, the picking and the blowing of the dandelions during the spring, the running up and down the lawn and the teasing of Dudley's awful friends as they swam during the summer, and the dancing in the rain and jumping around in piles of leaves during the fall. These were the few and precious things that lived in the back of both of their minds. Towards the later hours of the night, Luke Castellan had left the castle, as he and Hagrid had headed off to his hut where he would be staying temporarily. That night, Hagrid had of course not liked even the idea of Luke Castellan. He was a criminal, of course. But as he somewhat reluctantly spoke to him out of both politeness and curiosity, Hagrid found that the two of them actually had some similarities, and had gotten along fairly well, almost like new friends. They were both people of routine simplicity, who both enjoyed the peaceful outdoors and the wildlife. Luke Castellan rarely shared that small and private side of him with anyone, but found Hagrid to be a good companion. Both had learned, that day, that sometimes people's pasts or their current situations or inhibitions could be set aside and forgotten, to form something that had such a potential to be incredible. Friendship. Acceptance. Maybe that was the key to a happy existence, Luke wondered. Or maybe it was just a part of it. He knew that ultimately he had completely no idea what he was talking about, in the big picture of things. But maybe the big picture didn't matter if no one could really see or reach it. Maybe sometimes the small picture was all that was important at times. All that one needed to be content with in order to be at peace. No one knew for sure, but that was just fine with Luke Castellan that night. As he slept in Hagrid's gigantic hammock, he realized that it felt like he was being cradled by some giant nurturing being. Like a giant mother. It was then that he knew that the beings in charge of the big picture were taking good care of smaller beings like him. He slept well that night, no doubt about it.

****

Diana Black felt at peace. She felt like she was under water, but not drowning. Just looking up at the beauty above. It was like she was under water, where nothing bad could interrupt the rhythm of her relaxation and her contentment with her surroundings. She was untouchable. She had the privilege of feeling that reassurance now, after she had bravely faced everything bad that had just happened to her. Just like Lilianna Heavens. It was interesting how that young woman was actually significantly older than her, yet she had looked up to Diana when the two had crossed paths. Things had a funny way of figuring themselves out. A lot like people did. But she was alright now; after having had Diana and everyone else's support, she had gotten back up onto her feet. That's what real family and friends did for each other in life, she realized. No, Diana Black thought. No. Not for me. I don't have friends; I have family.