"Yeah it is."

"Baby..." Demi's face fell.

"He hated me mommy. He hurt me."

"Sweetie he hurt all of us by leaving."

"He didn't hit Kenna." Kenzie looked down. It was the first time I had seen her genuinely sad.

"He hit you?" Demi's eyes watered. "Oh my god Kenzie. Baby why didn't you tell me?"

"He told me not to." She shrugged.

"When did this happen?" Demi rushed over to Kenzie and went in for a hug, but Kenzie flinched instead.

It all made sense now, why Kenzie wasn't affectionate. Why she hated hugs and being touched. Demi must feel beyond awful for not piecing this together.

"The night he left."

"I'm so sorry I let that happen." Tears were running down Demi's cheeks as she retreated into the bathroom.

The three of us were left in silence.

"I'm sorry I said that Kenzie."

"Whatever." She held her hand up.

I walked over to the bathroom door and knocked for Demi.

"Demi you said you'd keep yourself together and everything would be okay." I begged. She needed to fix things.

"I've failed as a mom. I can't do this anymore." Demi sobbed. "I let Wilmer hurt my babies. I know how hard he hits Cece. I let him do that to my daughter." She gasped.

I slunk down and sat at the door. I couldn't do anything for Demi. I couldn't help her. I couldn't help myself, much less another person.

I waited and waited and waited. Eventually I heard the door open.

"You were right. I still need to be there for my girls. I'll deal with me later." Demi put a brave face on.

I smiled, relieved.

"Let's go finish talking." Demi grabbed my hand.

"Girls I'm so, so sorry I let Wilmer hurt both of you. You've both been through a lot with him leaving. I just want you to know that what he did was awful, and I know it's going to be hard to move on through life without him. I know I've avoided talking about him, but that's going to change. We're going to heal as a family."

Demi wasn't being emotional at all and that worried me. She wasn't showing any sadness at the moment and I knew she was heartbroken.

"I love you mommy." Kenna got up and ran into Demi's arms.

"Hey I love you more!" Kenzie frowned.

"That's the other thing. Kenzie, you can't be mean to Kenna. That is completely unacceptable. You need to sincerely apologize to Kenna."

"But mommy! I told you! She steals Cece's attention! She should apologize to me!"

"Kenzie this is more about Wilmer, isn't it?" Demi knelt next to her.

"No I don't care about him!" She yelled defensively.

"You seem awfully jealous about Cece, a little bit extreme if you ask me. It would make more sense for you to be upset over your father."

"I-I want Kenna to know how I felt." Kenzie whispered. "If it wasn't for her I would still have a daddy who loved me." She spat.

"You can't take your anger out on her. That's not going to be tolerated. You can be sad. You can be angry too, but you can't take it out on your twin. Has Kenna really done anything wrong?"

"She was born."

"Do you really believe she chose to be born?"

"No."

"So how can you be mad at her for that?"

Kenzie was silent for the first time in her life.

"Fine. I guess I could like Kenna."

"That's a good start. What do you like about her? Tell her?"

"You're really nice. You keep secrets. And since we are twins, you're pretty."

"Thanks Kenzie." Kenna smiled.

"Can you apologize Kenz?"

"I'm sorry."

"That's my girls!" Demi hugged both of them. "I'm going to take Kenna out for ice cream and you and Cece can spend some time together."

"I'll help get you ready Kenna." I grabbed her hands and led her up the stairs. A lot had been discussed and I needed to know how she felt. I didn't trust that Kenzie was just going to be nice now.

"How do you feel about all that?" I asked.

"I don't believe Kenzie." She muttered. She was so disconnected, it worried me. She looked so sad.

"Just give her a chance." I put my hand on her shoulder. "Cheer up, Demi's on your side now."

"I just want to sleep forever."

The things that Kenzie said to Kenna were going to live inside of her for a long time. Kenna's spunk was gone, I hadn't seen the real her in days.

"If you sleep forever, we won't be besties. I love you okay?"

"You're going to forgive Kenzie." Kenna whispered. "You can't be her bestie too."

"I'll always love you more bestie."

"I love you bestie." Kenna smiled.

"Now go have fun, don't worry about me and Kenzie okay?"

She ran down the stairs and I heard Kenzie running up. She went into her closet and dragged a few dolls out.

"Wanna play?"

"Of course. I never meant to leave you out. I just wanted to protect Kenna."

I didn't mention to her that her attitude her aggravating and bratty. She wasn't my favorite person, but I had to make an effort.

"I know. I don't care. I'm fabulous!" She flicked her wrist and flipped her hair.

Her sass was unreal.

----------------------------------------------

Sort of a long chapter!

Do you think Kenzie is really going to be nice to Kenna now?

Do you think Cece will become friends with Kenzie?

What do you think/want to happen next?

Suggestions welcomed!!!!