Chapter 31 - "I don't want it to end."

When Kit pulled away, Edison didn't let her go far, his hand's still cupping her face, but he gave her enough room to catch her breath. The rest of the world fell back in around them, but there was only silence.

It was as if the world was frozen and they were the only ones breathing.

Then a sudden rush of noise filled the empty air, as the crowd around the lake sent their cheers and shouts out into the night. Kit pulled further away and looked around.

She looked back to Edison, the last hints of his breath still on her lips. He was still looking at her with a look that was both familiar and new. It was wonder with a hint of something deeper. She thought she could melt under that look.

But just as the idea came to her, the feeling began to disappear. She grasped at it, desperately trying to keep a hold on it, but it slipped away. In it's place came a single phrase, Jaxon's question: "Whats going to happen to Edison when this was over?"

She gave a quiet smile and placed her hands on top of Edison's, removing his hands from her face. The cheers continued and the boys began to grow rowdy, threatening to push each other in the water. The girl's squealed as they quickly moved out of the danger zone but the energy didn't touch Kit. She felt more like the cloud of smoke the fireworks had left behind in the sky, a faint reminder of something great that had already passed.

"Happy Fourth of July Kit-Kat!" Jaxon yelled. He pulled her away from Edison and spun her around. "For life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness!"

He threw her over his shoulder and jumped into the lake. Water shot up her nose and she came up coughing, but clear headed.

She laughed loudly and reached for him. She jumped on his shoulders, trying to push him under water, but he quickly grabbed her and threw her back into the water. When she came up, she had swallowed a large amount of lake water but she felt energized and ready for a fight.

Several of the guys had jumped in and the scene was chaotic. She searched for Jaxon, but between the low light and the splashing water fights, he was lost to her. She swam for the dock, hoping to get a higher vantage point and found Edison waiting for her. Grinning, he offered a helping hand.

She took it and pulled. "Come in!" she said. She tried to drag him into the water. "Edison, get in the water. Get in the water!"

She put the full force of her weight behind her attempt, but he easily slipped his hand free.

He shook his head and stepped back. She shrugged and turned back to her original task of finding Jaxon. She didn't have to look far when he popped up in front of her. She tried to reach for him but he dunked her under before she could grab him.

She left Edison on the dock as she chased after Jaxon. It was a futile attempt on her part. Jaxon had been on the swim team since freshman year and his arms were almost as long as she was tall, but that didn't stop her from trying.

She quickly tired. Her strokes became slow and heavy, and she couldn't grab him even as he swam circles around her, but she kept up the fight. Drew lit the fire pit and the warmth and appeal of s'mores pulled everyone from the water until it was just Kit and Jaxon. After a few minutes of swimming bored circles, even Jaxon lost interest and pulled her along to the dock.

Edison was waiting for them. He offered her his hand and pulled her out. Her shorts and the shirt she had borrowed from Jaxon clung to her.

"Jaxon, look what you did," she said. "These are the only clothes I have."

Jaxon was pulling on a dry shirt and she reached for it. He just chuckled as he dodged her hands.

"Dry by the fire," he suggested.