Chapter 8 - "Two words that can make any girl fall in love."

It was like a switch had been flipped in Edison. As his team took its turn on offense, he was front and center for every play. His voice rang out above everyone else as he shouted out moves for the players. Tommy might have been the quarterback, but it had become Edison's team.

The air on the field turned serious as Drew did all he could to stop Edison, but it seemed impossible. Edison drove the ball down the field, and within fifteen minutes of Kit's touchdown, he was in position to score. He made daring plays but somehow Drew's team was able to keep him from scoring.

"Better luck next time," Kit taunted, as she swaggered past him.

He mumbled something under his breath and, although she couldn't hear the exact words, his terse tone made it easy to understand what he meant.

"Alright, gather round," Drew yelled, as his team and Kit huddled, ready for their turn with the ball. "Obviously, things are different with Eddie actually playing. He's strongest on offense, but we all know the damage he can do on defense. Let's keep it tight and clean. Davis go long, Williams stay close and cut right, the rest of you give me time to throw the ball."

"What about me?" Kit asked. 

"Get open," he said.

She had known the answer to her question, but she didn't even care if Drew hadn't paid her any attention since Edison had started playing. She found Edison's focus energizing and she loved watching him play.

"I'm on it," she sang.

Edison posed a serious threat on defense as he seemed to be everywhere at once, but Drew's team was able to make some progress down the field.

On the fifty yard line, Drew hiked the ball and Kit jogged out. She turned back and could see four players from the opposite team closing in on Drew. His eyes frantically scanned the field for someone to throw the ball to.

"Drew!" she yelled, waving her hands in the air. "I'm open!"

He avoided her gaze and was turning to the other side of the field when someone tackled him from behind. The ball flew out of his hands. Before anyone could react, Edison picked it up and ran for the opposite end of the field.

The cheerleaders erupted into loud shouts as he out ran all of the players on Drew's team, ran half the field and crossed into the end zone. Everyone on the bleachers and his team began to cheer. Edison threw down the football and ran back up the field, pumping his hands victoriously in the air, as everyone chanted his name.

He didn't slow when he passed the cheerleaders, but kept running, straight towards Kit. She smiled as he neared. She noticed the playful look in his eyes a moment before he wrapped his arms around her knees and picked her up. She let out a surprised yelp and laughed as he continued his victory lap.

He was out of breath but grinning from ear to ear when he finally put her down. In seconds, the cheerleaders surrounded him, pushing Kit off to the side, and began to chant "Eddie Reigns! Eddie Reigns!"

Kit moved further back as Edison's team joined the chanting crowd. She turned to find Drew walking down the field, a scowl on his face. She jogged over to him.

"It was a good game," she said, still bouncing from the excitement.

"It was a crap game," he said. 

"Come on," she laughed. "It was thrilling and unexpected. Who cares who wins? It's just fun to play."

"Whatever," he grumbled.

Kit stopped walking and let him sulk off the field alone. She turned back to find Edison had broken free of the crowd and was jogging towards her.

"How about a kiss for the MVP?" he asked playfully.