Chapter 3 - "Someone said you were a teenage bride."

"Get out! If I ever see you again, I'll call the..."

Amanda's threat faded as Edison quickly pulled Kit back into the house and out the front door.

"I don't think I've ever seen Amanda so mad," Edison said

"She'll get over it. Eventually," Kit said. She pulled her hand from Edison's.

When they reached the end of the walkway, they split off into different directions.

"My car is this way," he said, pointing behind him.

"You don't want to take my Porsche?"

Edison's eyes bugged out in surprise. "You have a...? Seriously? A Porsche?"

"Yes..."

"Of course you have a Porsche," he laughed in disbelief.

"But we can take your car if you want," she offered.

"No, no, no," he answered. He clamped his mouth shut to keep his words from tumbling out and took a deep breath. "What happened to the moped?"

"It felt like a Porsche day. Do you wanna drive?" She smiled as his eyes grew big again.

"You'll let me drive the Porsche, but you won't let me drive the moped?"

"You hadn't ever driven a moped before. Have you driven a car?"

"Yes, I've driven a car," he answered.

"Then you drive." She tossed him the keys.

When she reached the car, she turned to find he hadn't moved, his eyes transfixed on the keys in his hands.

"Any day now!" she yelled back to him.

He started and gave a sheepish smile as he jogged to her. When he reached the car, he circled it three times before he had the sense to open her door for her.

"Are you sure you can drive?" she asked, as he climbed into the driver's side. His eyes darted around the sleek interior.

"Edison!" She clapped to get his attention. "Are all the light bulbs working up there?"

He slowly turned to look at her. "Did you say that because of my name?"

She gave him a pleased smile. "I did. Now, you dragged me out of the party. Where are you going to take me?"

"I know just the spot," he said.

He turned the ignition and the car purred to life.

"Is this real?" he asked.

"Hit the gas and see for yourself," she said.

He took her suggestion to heart and sped down the block. The car was a lot of power to handle, but he was a quick learner. By the time they hit the highway, they were smoothly speeding past all the other cars. The night was warm and they rolled down the windows.

"Is that a tunnel?" Kit asked loudly above the wind wiping through the car. She pointed to the glowing half circle that was fast approaching.

"Yeah. Why?" Edison shouted back.

"When we reach it, you have to scream!" she shouted.

"What?"

She pulled herself up and leaned out the window.

"Kit, are you crazy!" he yelled at her.

"Scream!" she yelled back.

The darkness disappeared as they entered the orange lit tunnel and Kit screamed at the top of her lungs. Her voice ricocheted off the tiled walls. Every inch of her buzzed with excitement as she pushed her lungs to keep working until they were free of the tunnel.