Chapter 19 - "What if the girl is you?"

The sun was directly overhead by the time Kit and Edison got out on the water. Boarding the boat had been a rocky situation. Edison had had to swallow his pride for a minute, and allow Kit to help stabilize him as he climbed on the small boat.

The boat was white and blue, with two plastic seats and two sets of pedals in the floor. With Edison seated, Kit handed him a paddle and climbed aboard. The paddle boat attendant gave them a shove and they were off. She began to peddle, the movement kicking up water, and Edison joined in with the paddle.

Once they were moving, it didn't take long for the sun to warm their shoulders. But the strong wind on the water and a light spray from the peddles were cooling. It was an uneven balance between the peddles and paddle and they spent the first few minutes spinning in circles, much to Edison's annoyance, and Kit's delight.

"Kit, stop peddling!" he snapped.

He dug his paddle deep into the water as he tried to counteract the movement on her side of the boat. She laughed, but removed her feet from the peddles. She stretched her legs over the edge of the boat and rested back against the seat, closing her eyes.

A minute later, Edison let out a frustrated sigh.

"A little help," he huffed.

She smiled and slowly sat up. He had been so successful with his paddling, they were now spinning in the opposite direction. He glared at her when she didn't make any movement to help.

"I didn't hear a please," she said.

His glare was so strong, she questioned whether he would abandon the boat and swim back to shore.

"Fine, fine," she started to peddle, "but only because you have a busted ankle."

He grumbled under his breath as her peddling turned them from shore and he started to paddle. She slowed her pedaling and they were able to strike a balance.

The lake was busy with other boaters and paddle boards so they cut a straight line, directly away from shore, heading for less crowded water. They kept moving in silence until the shore was barely visible and there were only a few boats nearby.

Edison pulled his paddle out of the water and rested it between them before wiping his brow.

"Do you have anything useful in that backpack or did you just bring it because it matched your outfit?"

Kit looked down at the yellow backpack she had brought, then at the yellow shirt she was wearing. She laughed.

"Obviously, I brought it because it matches my outfit," she said.

She mimicked the ditsy tone Amanda always used. He looked annoyed before she pulled out a water bottle and handed it to him.

"I can honestly say, I haven't spent much of my life worried about whether my bag matches my outfit."

He shrugged and drank half the bottle of water. "Don't be offended. Half of what Amanda says is about her outfit or purse."

She nodded. "No, I understand your confusion. Amanda and I are very similar," she said.

For a moment, an annoyed looked settled on his face until he began to smile. He shook his head at his own mistake and she laughed.

"Thanks though, for the comparison," she said. "I'm sure Amanda would really appreciate it."

"You know, I forgot to get her a birthday present," he said. "Do you think the comparison will be enough?"

A full smile covered his face as Kit's laugh grew louder and she slapped her leg.