Chapter 2 - "I thank thee oh cousin of mine."

Kit rapped on the front door and kept up a steady beat as she waited for an answer.

"I hear you. I'm coming!" an annoyed voice shouted. "Seriously, I'm going to kill..." The tall guy with messy hair stopped mid sentence when he opened the door.

"I should have known it was you," he said. He walked away, leaving the door open.

"Jaxon! Dearest cousin! It's a beautiful morning. How can you be so glum?" Kit sang. She shut the door behind her and followed him into the kitchen.

"It's four in the afternoon," he said.

"But I just got up."

"Here's a new revelation, time doesn't revolve around your sleeping schedule," he said.

"Interesting," Kit said. "I guess you learn something new every day."

"You're welcome."

"I thank thee oh cousin of mine."

He gave her an odd look before returning to his half eaten sandwich.

"So, what's the plan for tonight?" she asked, hopping up on the counter.

"I hadn't really thought further then this sandwich," Jaxon said.

"I heard there's a party," she said.

"There is."

"So, let's go."

"We could, if you hadn't pushed the host in the pool last night." He gave her a serious look. "Seriously Kit, what were you thinking? You can't just go around pushing people into pools."

"But you know how I feel about Amanda's," she said.

"I'm serious." He pointed an accusatory finger at her. "You've only been here for two days and already the whole town knows who you are."

"Is that such a bad thing?"

"It is when the stories involve you pushing Amanda Gleason. She's the town's princess. She's led the Fourth of July parade for the last four years.

"What? Seriously?" she asked pretending to be horrorified. "Why didn't anyone tell me?" She jumped off the counter and began to pace. "I mean, pushing someone in a pool isn't that bad but the leader of the Fourth of July parade! Do you think they'll arrest me?" There was a playful gleam in her eye.

Jaxon gave her a flat look.

"You can't even call it a push," she argued. "Have you seen my muscles? No! Because I don't have any. It was more of a love tap."

He snorted. "There was no love involved," he said.

"It was barely a tap."

"Why did you even do it? The last time I checked, Amanda wasn't that mean."

"Last time I checked, you're a male."

"And? What does that have to do with it?"

"Did I also mention a good looking male?"

"Amanda has friends that are girls."

"Good for her."

"Kit, I think you overreacted."

She raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Please, Amanda decided to voice her opinion about my flirting. I decided to voice my opinion with a push. It seemed more direct. Besides, she pushed me first."

"Did she really?" Jaxon asked.

She gave a careless shrug. "I should really thank her," she said. "Now I can cross 'push someone into a pool' off my bucket list."