Chapter 28 - "Hey Farewell? Really?"

Kit didn't notice the smoke beginning to seep out of the oven until the fire alarm began to blare. It drowned out the music she was blasting and instantly threw her into a panic. She turned from the stove, where she had been making pancakes, to find the kitchen in a haze. 

She let out a small, panicked yelp as she ran to the oven. She turned it off and yanked the muffin tin out. The scolding metal burned her hands the moment they met and she dropped the pan. It clattered to the floor adding to the chaos. Dancing around the hot muffins now scattered on the floor, she ran to the back door and threw it open. 

She quickly opened all the windows and grabbed the nearest towel. She waved it through the air, trying to dissipate the smoke. But the smoke only seemed to grow thicker. She grabbed a second towel and spun in circles, waving her arms faster until one of the towels hit an object. 

She jumped, and let out a surprised scream when Edison appeared out of the smokey haze. He gave the scene a worried look as he quickly assessed the situation. Kit watched in amazement as he quickly moved to the stove, where her pancakes had turned as black as coal and turned the flame off. He grabbed the pan, smoke rising from the hot surface, and took it outside. 

When he came back, he jumped up onto the counter and yanked fire alarm from the ceiling. Kit put her hands over her ears, trying to block out the screaming noise until he finally managed to turn it off. 

When she removed her hands, her ears were ringing. She could hear her music again, but it sounded fainter. Edison hopped down from the counter and searched the kitchen before he found the music and turned it off. Kit's shoulder's slumped with relief once it was finally silent. 

Edison gave her an amazed look.

"What?" he asked. "We don't see each other for a day and you're so desperate you decided to burn down your house?" 

She gave an embarrassed laugh and resumed waving the towels around.

"I was making breakfast," she said. She stopped when she stepped on a muffin on the floor. They were a crisp black and still steaming. "Well, I was trying," she corrected.

She picked up one of the muffins. "Are you hungry?" she asked.

She held the muffin out to him. Chuckling, he shook his head. He crouched down and began to pick up the muffins.

"I think I'll pass," he said. 

"How about some pancakes? They have red, white and blue star sprinkles in them."

"I'm not sure those sprinkles are red, white and blue anymore."

She jumped up and went to the stove. She frowned when she didn't find the pan and began to turn in circles. When she looked at Edison, he just grinned and pointed out the door. She laughed.

"I guess that's the last time I'll try to make a fancy breakfast," she said. 

Edison carried the burnt muffins to the trash. "Pancakes and muffins was a bit ambitious," he said. "I didn't even know you cooked."

"I don't, but it's the Fourth of July! And I found these really cute sprinkles," she said. 

"How about some scrambled eggs?" he asked. 

"Fine," she grumbled. She pulled the carton of eggs from the fridge. 

He was by her side in a second, holding his hand out. He nodded to the bar stools.

"How about I take over the cooking before you burn the house down?" he said. When she didn't move, he took the eggs and gently nudged her in the right direction. "You can be DJ," he added.