Part 15

Drifting away from everything, all was calm and peaceful and bliss. Anytime I wandered a little further, a voice kept coaxing me to open my eyes, to come back, promising things will be better. It was better where I was but the desperation that came with the voice perked my interest. I tried so many times to do as the voice was asking me but something kept holding me back.

It was no different this time around, the voice had begged me to open my eyes but stopped after a while. I had to push through it.

The burning sensation behind my eyelids slowly subsided as my eyes fluttered open. The lights in the room made it hard for me to focus, I blinked several times before my eyes adjusted. My mind was in a muddle, I didn't know where I was or what had happened. I heard the beeping of a machine and slowly turned my head to investigate my surroundings, a monitoring machine, tubes, a hospital dress?

My mind was in a frenzy as memories of me fainting overtook me. My baby! That was all I could think of as my hand frantically moved to check my stomach. I sobbed out in relief as I had feared the worst, losing my baby. I stopped amidst my sobbing as Alex appeared out of a room with his hair wet but fully dressed.

His steps came to a halt, he stood there connecting his icy blue eyes to mine. My treacherous heart skipped a beat as he regain his movements and all but raced to my bedside. I accessed his face which was closer to me now. He had dark circles underneath his eyes and his beard looked unkept.

"Zana" he mentioned my name as if to certify if I was really awake. He pressed a button near the bed as he took my hand in his.

"The Doctor will be here in a minute. You had me worried and scared Zana"

"Water" I croaked out and he rushed to pour me a glass from the bedside table.

He held the glass to my lips as I drank my fill.

"Well you shouldn't be, and it was just a minor dizzy spell you shouldn't have brought me to a hospital. I was just out for a few hours"

"Few hours? Zana you have been out for three days straight"

"What do you mean three days"

"I found you unconscious at the base of the stairs. Do you recall what happened"

"Umm yes, I felt dizzy as I was about to take a step on the stairs, I tried grabbing the rails but it did nothing to help"

"So you didn't fall from the stairs?"

"I did fall but not from the stairs"

He was pensive for a moment before his eyes met mine again. I still couldn't grasp that I had been out cold for three days. I was lost in my thoughts when I heard him speak again.

"About the last time, I-" I cut him off with a wave of my hand.

"I get it Alex, you don't have to explain or apologize. It was a mistake, let's just focus on the child right now and building a mutual co-relation" I croaked out.

Remorse filled his eyes for a second before it completely disappeared. A doctor entered the room a minute later before Alex could utter another word.

"You finally awake" the doctor said cheerfully.

Alex took that moment to excuse himself from the room leaving me and the doctor alone. He went straight ahead to examine me and conduct all the necessary procedures.