Part 14

Alex's P.o.V

I returned back into the house a few minutes later hoping Zana had finally gone to sleep. It killed me to be cold and distant towards her. The hurt in her eyes when I told her the kiss was a mistake was unmistakably evident. Hell, it was a mistake, as soon as my lips had touched hers I knew I was a goner.

Everything felt right when I kissed her and she responded. We had agreed to be just friends but then I let my desire take over. Hell, I wanted her so bad I had researched if it was okay to have sex with a pregnant woman and what position will be best. That was how bad I wanted her.
And since that day, I had been avoiding her. She was like a flame and I a moth drawn to her.

The feelings and emotions she had awoken in me, I myself couldn't understand them. And it scared me. I was beginning to fall for her and it was not part of the plan. I didn't plan on staying married for long.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I saw the scene in front of me. I felt my heart clench inside me as I rushed towards the base of the stairs to kneel beside Zana's unconscious body.

"Zana.!! Zana!!" I frantically called out her name.

She looked pale and fragile, I took one of her hands protecting her stomach to fell for a pulse. She was alive, I sighed in relief. But there was no time to spare, her pulse was faintly beating. I had to get her to the hospital quickly for I feared for the  lives of she and the baby.

As carefully and gently as I could I picked her up and rushed towards the door.
Luckily I hadn't locked my car, I laid her limp body at the backseat of the car, closed the door and dashed around to get inside the drivers seat. Fishing the keys from my pants pockets I inserted it into the ignition and sped off to the hospital.

I kept on checking on Zana to see if she was okay. This was all my fault but now wasn't the time to blame or hate myself for my actions. I got to the hospital in less than 15 minutes considering the numerous driving regulations I broke.

Taking a still unconscious Zana into my arms, I hurriedly headed inside the hospital. Two attending nurses met me at the ER and directed me to an empty bed to put Zana down.

"What happened to her sir?" One of the nurses asked.

"I don't know, I found her unconscious on the floor"

"Did she fall?"

"I do not know. Will you stop asking me questions and get me a doctor ?"

I menacingly yelled at the attending nurse. I was so close to losing my temper. I know she was just doing her job but my Zana needed a real doctor not a nurse. I held unto her hand as the nurse went about checking her pulse and other mandatory procedures.

A minute later, the other nurse returned with a doctor. I was too focused on Zana to pay attention to the doctor.

"Can you please tell me what happened sir" the doctor asked.

"I found her unconscious on the floor at the base of the staircase. I think she might have fallen" I said still not looking up to the doctor.

"I see" he mumbled as he went about checking Zana's heartbeat and her pupils, again.

"Is the baby going to be fine? Are they going to be fine?" I anxiously asked.