Chapter 41

When I finally gathered myself, I took a deep breath. I walked into the classroom, went to my new desk— which had been emailed to me while I was in the hospital— and took out my large pile of completed homework. I walked up to the teacher's desk, and set the pile down before walking back to my seat. I sat silently and worked on other homework I had yet to complete. I had English first my Sophomore year, and so did Chloe. When the teacher walked in just before the second bell, I set my homework aside and looked up while he took attendance. When he finished, he looked up at the class.

"It's good to see you back, Lyra," he said, nodding back towards me.

"It's good to be back, sir," I replied. Then he started the lesson.

At lunch, I sat with Danni. After lunch I had a free period, but my new friends and Danni all had classes. So I went outside and I sat on a bench, breathing in the fresh air. It was a change from the air of the hospital, which reeked of sickness and cleaner. I saw Chloe walk out with Summer, so I stood up and walked over, smiling.

"Hey, girls!" I called, waving. They stopped and let me reach them.

"What do you want now, Lyra?" Chloe asked.

"I still want to know why you two keep ignoring me," I explained. "I'm just so confused. Did I do something that upset you guys?" Chloe sighed, looking at Summer. Summer shook her head.

"Sum, we should tell her. She deserves to at least understand why." Summer sighed.

"Fine, tell her then." Summer and Chloe both turned back towards me.

"After the concert, we realized the full extent of your injuries. You weren't the same, and Danni didn't realize it. We could tell, though. And we thought you needed your space, to get your head back on where you need it to be. Then you attempted suicide and got cancer, and we were angry with ourselves for standing back and letting you be alone. We blamed ourselves for everything that happened after the concert we went to. So we stayed away. We figured you didn't need us. And clearly you don't." Her and Summer turned and started walking away. I felt dizzy and lightheaded, but I tried to reach after them. In the process, I collapsed. I heard them turn around and call my name, but I blacked out.

When I woke up, I was back in the hospital. Dad was sitting in the chair next to my bed like he was always was, twiddling his thumbs. I shifted around and he looked up quickly. Relief flooded his face.

"Why didn't you call? I told you call if you didn't feel good."

"It just. . . It just happened," I blubbered, bursting into tears. "I didn't know I didn't feel good. I was fine one minute and then I just got dizzy and lightheaded. Next think I know, I'm falling and I black out. I'm sorry." Dad held me tightly while I cried.

"It's okay, it's okay," he whispered. "I'm not mad. It's okay, honey, I promise."

By the time I stopped crying, Dr. Kence came in.

"Weren't you just here?" she asked.

"I think it's a side effect of the surgery," Dad explained. "They said this might happen, and that we'd have to come back if it did just so they make sure she's okay." Dr. Kence modded.

"I'll take her to run the tests," she replied as she grabbed the wheelchair from the corner of the room. They helped me into it and I was taken to get my tests done.

As we got back, I heard Dad talking to the others. Pete asked what happened, and if I was okay. Dad told him they were running tests. Dr. Kence took me back into the room and Pete came over to hug me. I hugged him back. Awhile later, Chloe, Summer, and Danni walked in. Chloe and Summer looked like they'd been crying.

"We were so scared," Summer said, bursting into tears.

"You just--" Chloe whispered, unable to finish. Danni hugged me tightly.

"I'm okay now," I said, looking at Dr. Kence. "Right?"

"You should be fine now," she replied. Danni continued to hug me, and I felt something wet hit my shoulder.

"Don't cry, Danni," I whispered.

"You scared me," she cried into my shoulder. "Summer had burst into my classroom and told the teacher you'd collapsed. We were the closest classroom. I was scared I'd actually lost you this time, Lyra."

"I know, Danni. I'm sorry."

Long story short, Chloe and Summer realized them being mad at Danni was pointless. We all became friends again. Danni couldn't do anything to get them into the band, but they agreed that they would loved to support us and cheer us on. Who knows, maybe Wildfire could make a comeback someday. 

My sophomore year went by in a flash. I had my friends, my band, my studies, and my family. They never let me have a moment by myself, but I was grateful. Who knows what could have happened? My life with Dad was definitely different from my life without him. So much had happened in the span of two years. My sixteenth birthday was one I would never forget. Dad got me my own car. Danni, Summer, Chloe, and I had become closer than ever that year, after the whole drama thing happened. My band with Danni and the others had taken off well. We played several teenage house parties, some birthday parties, and other get togethers. I enjoyed being up on stage with my best friend and the rest of the band. 

I'd grown close to Luca, Finn, and Elie, but I think I was closest to Luca out of all three. I spent a lot of time with our guitarist, going over rhythms and such for new songs. I missed Wildfire like hell, and I hoped one day, maybe, Wildfire could make a comeback. Don't get me wrong, I love the new band and everyone in it, but I missed performing with my girls. I hoped one day, life could be normal. But who am I kidding? I'm Patrick Stump's daughter. Life will never be normal.