Chapter 38

Pete stayed with me the whole day. I threw up continuously until almost midnight. Even then, I couldn't sleep. My doctor said it was just the treatments, and I knew he was right. It happened when I was younger too. The doctor just said we'd hold off on treatments for a little while, which I was grateful for. Pete worried about me the whole time. He didn't sleep at all that night, even though I told him I'd be fine.

The next morning, after I'd gotten about an hour of sleep, I found Andy laying on the couch, fast asleep. Pete was in the chair next to my bed, trying to stay awake.

"Pete, go to sleep," I whispered. "I'll wake you if I need you, but you need sleep." I knew he wanted to protest, but he just nodded and fell asleep instantly. I heard the door creak open and Dad was slipping inside my room.

"Hey, L-"

"Get out," I whispered, looking defiantly at him. "I don't want you here. Leave."

"But-"

"No. If you can't keep your priorities straight, I don't want to see here. I know everything, and I'm not happy. Let me know when you've made up your mind about whose more important."

"Lyra, please-"

"I said go!" I screamed, causing Pete and Andy to jerk awake. Dad looked defeated. He left the room without another word. As soon as the door clicked shut behind him, I burst into tears.

"Shhhh," Pete whispered, moving into my hospital bed and allowing me to cry into him. He stroked my hair and whispered encouraging words. Andy left the room, no doubt to go and talk to Dad. I knew I'd told Dad I wouldn't care if he found someone, but now? How could he have expected me to take it well when I was full of drugs and going through treatments that made my hair fall out and make me feel sick? Why did he have to find someone right now?

~Patrick~

As soon as the door clicked behind me, I heard Lyra crying. And it wasn't small, quiet cries, either. She was crying really hard. It broke my heart when I realized it was my fault. She was only crying because I couldn't be a better father. What had I done?

I heard the door open behind me, and Lyra's crying intensified for the brief moment it was open. I turned to see Andy closing the door.

"You know you shouldn't have gone in there," he said, frowning. His eyes were full of seriousness. I knew he was going to be doing any joking.

"Why did Pete tell her?" I demanded. He shouldn't have done that. It was my business. Lyra is my daughter. I was going to tell her when she was better.

"Lyra figured it out for herself," he replied coldly. Most who knew him wouldn't take him as the type to be cold towards someone else. "She said she saw you with Charlotte. What were you thinking? Why was she here anyways? I know you were talking about getting closer and all, but you have a daughter who is in the hospital. Lyra needs her father, and clearly you can't see that. So you shouldn't even be here. Lyra is hurt by what you did, and I don't think you can see that. You shouldn't come back until you've got this whole Charlotte thing figured out. You should leave now."

"Andy-" 

"No, Patrick. You should leave. Now." The seriousness in his voice and his face told me I really shouldn't be there. Andy definitely had the ability to take me down, and I don't think he would hesitate if it was for Lyra. He saw her as a little sister. They all did. I knew they'd do anything in their power to protect her, even if it meant pushing me away for a while.

I left without another word. I liked Charlotte, I really did, but when it comes down to her or my daughter, Lyra is far more important. I'm sure she'll understand. . . .

I called Charlotte and had her meet me at the coffee shop. When I got there, she was already waiting. She kissed me and handed me a cup of coffee, then we took a seat at one of the tables. 

"What's this about, Patrick? You look preoccupied." I looked up from my coffee.

"My daughter, Lyra," I sighed. "She isn't getting much better. And I can't go over and see her because she found out about us. I wanted to tell her myself, when it was the right time, but she found out on her own and now she won't talk to me. Listen, Charlotte, I really do like you, but my daughter is the most important thing in my life. I'm sorry, but when it comes down to you or her, I have to choose Lyra. We don't have to stop seeing each other completely, but I think we should make it less often. I need to spend more time with Lyra. When she's well enough, you can come and see-"

"No, I get it, she's more important to you than I am," Charlotte said angrily. "Go on, go be with the brat. If you won't treat me the way I should be, then I don't want to see you anymore." 

She stood up angrily and stomped out of the shop. I sighed, resting my head in my hands. I wanted to go see Lyra, but after what happened, I thought she'd need some time. I decided I'd go and see her again tomorrow, tell her Charlotte's gone and she isn't coming back. I liked Charlotte, a lot, but Lyra is the most important person in my life. I need someone who understands that, not someone like Charlotte that will be all mad when I choose Lyra over her.

~Lyra~

I was still upset over Dad when I laid down that night. I couldn't believe him. I wanted him here, but not after what he did. I fell asleep that night to Pete talking to Andy and Joe about something; probably Dad. I still loved Patrick, I did, and could never stop loving him as my dad. He was an amazing father, even if he did make mistakes. Nobody's perfect. I just wish he would have told me. . . .