Chapter 40

Danni made sure to see me all the time after that awful day. And none of m family left alone after that. I understood why though. Dad still acted weird around me, like he wasn't sure he should be there. I know he was still scared after what happened the day he came back. He probably thought it was his fault. It wasn't. I was just having a rough day. I was having a rough day and wanted my dad, but he wasn't there. So, I did what I did. It sounds childish, and it was, but I needed my dad and he wasn't there.

Eventually I went in for my last surgery. This last one was open brain surgery, so they knew if they messed something up and they could fix it. I was supposed to play guitar while they did it. I brought my oldest guitar so my newer and favorite ones didn't get ruin. I played and sang for the surgeons and assistants and everyone in there. I played for the people in the gallery. I played like I was performing on a stage, like I was someone. I played all my favorite songs. I was playing Young Volcanoes when something happened. I was playing guitar when all of a sudden I just stopped. I couldn't remember how to play. I couldn't remember the words. I couldn't even remember the melody anymore. It's like my mind was just completely erased. The lead surgeons cursed under his breath. He did something and then I could remember again. I started playing again as soon as I grasped where I was in the song.

When the surgery was over, I carried my guitar back to my room for recovery. One of the nurses tried to take it, but I didn't let go. When I got back, Dad was waiting for me.

"There were a few complications during the surgery, but we caught them since she was awake," he explained. "The entire tumor was removed, along with the little ones that slid past chemo and radiation. Which means you're cancer free, Lyra. Once you've recovered, you're free to go home. And you won't need to come back for treatments. We will want to make sure everything is going smoothly, so you'll have to come back in two weeks. After that, there won't be a reason for us to see you anymore." I had a smile on my face so wide, my cheeks were starting to hurt. Dad's grin was just the same. He hugged me tightly and I hugged him back. The doctor left and we pulled apart.

"I'm so proud of you for fighting, honey," he said, smiling. He sat down and we waited for the others to come back. Brendon, Sarah, and Dallon were supposed to come too. They said they'd come and see how I was doing. 

"I want to tell everyone when they all get here," I said. "Did Pete hear back from Brendon?"

"He said he'll be here. I'll text Pete and see how far away they all are. Brendon and Sarah were gonna follow them here. Dallon said he had to stop and pick something up on his way, but he wouldn't be too far behind them." I nodded and strummed on my favorite bass. Soon, everyone except for Dallon walked into the room. Sarah and Brendon hugged me, after not having seen me in awhile. 

"So how'd the surgery go today?" Pete asked.

"I want to wait until Dallon gets here before I tell everyone," I replied, not showing emotion. We talked and waited for Dallon to get here. When he did, he had a guitar case. I assumed it was his.

"Can you tell us how it went now?" Pete asked eagerly.

"Guess who's cancer free, baby!" I said with a huge smile. Pete broke into a wide grin and hugged me tightly.

"I love you so much, Lyra," he whispered.

"I love you too, Pete," I laughed, hugging him back.

"The surgeon said she can leave as soon as she's recovered from the surgery. They said they got all of the tumor. Nothing left of it."

"That's amazing!" Sarah said, hugging me after Pete.

About a week and a half later, I was discharged. Brendon and Sarah offered to run to our house and pick up something for me to wear. They came back with blue skinny jeans, my black Panic! crop top, a black beanie, and my black boots. (Pictured above)