Chapter 7

We entered the office and a woman approached us. She looked like a nice lady. She wore a pants suit with a white blouse underneath.

"Hello," she smiled. "You must be Lyra. I met with your father the other day. I'm Principal Love." She stuck out her hand with a smile. I smiled and shook her hand. She turned to Pete and they shook hands.

"Pete," he introduced. "I'm a friend of Patrick's."

"Hello, Pete," Principal Love smiled. "Well, Lyra, let's get you your books, schedule, and map of the school." She opened a filing cabinet and pulled out a sheet of paper. Then she grabbed a map from a desk drawer and found my books. Apparently the teachers were expecting me and had already gotten my books sent down. She have me everything and I put my books in my backpack. She gave me the map and the sheet of paper, which had my schedule and locker number and combination. I smiled.

"Thank you," I smiled.

"Have a nice day," she said. "If you need anything else, my door is always open." Pete and I left the office and stopped when we reached the doors. This was where we parted ways for the day. He hugged me tightly for a few seconds.

"Be good, make friends, and don't hit anyone. Unless they hit you first, then you have to fight back." Pete looked me in the eye. "Don't let anyone walk all over you, don't talk to shady people, don't trust anyone until you know more about them. Andy's picking you up at the end of the day in his black BMW M4. I would, but the rest are busy all day. I'll text you are lunch, I expect an answer. I'll see you tonight." He left the building, leaving me without my support system.

I used the map to try and my locker, number 217, but I soon found myself utterly lost. The bell rang and students rushed to their classrooms. I found I had Math 3 with Mr. Carson first thing in the morning. Shit. I couldn't be late to my first class, but I couldn't find my way around this goddamn place. I was bumped into and my bag fell off my shoulder, splitting open and causing my books to fall out everywhere.

"Shit," I muttered under my breath. I bent to pick up my torn bag and books, the person who bumped into me bent to help.

"I am so sorry!" the girl explained. She looked like a fellow freshman. She was wearing a Fall Out Boy shirt, which had a picture of the guys. I found my people.

"It's fine," I muttered. "I shouldn't even be here. If only I knew where the hell I was going." I thought she couldn't hear me, but apparently she did.

"I haven't seen you here before," she said suspiciously. "Are you new?"

"Yeah," I said. I stuck out my hand like Joe had told me to when meeting someone new. "Lyra."

"Chloe," the girl smiled. We shook hands and picked up my books off the floor. "Are you lost?"

"Yeah," I sighed in defeat. "I have a map, but it's useless."

"Yeah, those maps aren't very helpful," Chloe said. "What locker are you?"

"217," I replied, looking at the sheet of paper.

"What a coincidence!" she said. "My locker is 218! Our lockers are right next to each other. What's your first class?"

"Math 3 with Mr. Carson," I replied. I hoped we had the same math class. I was right.

"So do I," Chloe responded happily. "How about I show you to your locker, then we can go to math together?"

"That would be great, but won't you be late?" I asked, relieved.

"Mr. Carson will understand," she said, shrugging. "He's cool like that. I'll get a tardy, but he won't chew me out for helping out." She smiled and helped me carry my books to our lockers. I opened my lock with some difficulty, put away everything I didn't need, and carried the books I did. Chloe and I walked to Math and knocked on the classroom door. A tall man opened the door.