chapter 110

“Master I think that there are only 10,000 left.”

Melpomene swiftly cut her own carotid artery once more after informing me. We had managed to achieve 1,000 deaths per day, for a total of 90,000 deaths in 90 days. I was now spending more than half of my day, about 15 hours, repeating this process of death and resurrection.

At first our excuse was that Melpomene also wanted to have a child, but now it was getting harder and harder to explain. Thanks to this my odd titles had all reached maximum and most people around me took me for a lecherous pervert.

I now only took about 50 to 55 seconds to complete the cycle of Melpomene’s death and resurrection. Due to this extreme repetition my Resurrection Song skill hit max.

On Melpomene’s end it was simply dying over and over again, with hardly any time for words in between. After having repeated it for over 90,000 times, it had become like a mechanical process, and the boundaries between life and death seemed nonexistent.

Death, resurrection and then death once more.

An endless cycle which neither took into account the respect for life or the solemness of death.

After undergoing such a unique experience, I began to question my beliefs.

‘What is is death? What is life? Just what is the meaning behind them if one can so easily be resurrected. Is there no soul? Why is it that in a world where Gods are actually present that there is no mention of the soul?’

As I was pondering these questions Melpomene died a few more times.

“Master, after all these deaths it seems that you’re still overthinking things.”

She didn’t forget to immediately off herself after finishing her sentence. She had truly mastered the art of suicide. At first I was the one to do it, but she quickly took over as she was more efficient and ruthless towards herself.

Due to this she gained the title [Suicide Addict LvMax]. Although I would previously be affected to a certain extent with the death of a sentient being, after being exposed to so many deaths, I no longer felt so touched.

I had also discovered a truly interesting fact. If one were to die, but then be resurrected, they would suffer a penalty. This penalty would also occur at any subsequent revivals. Of course this wasn’t unexpected, after all there had to be some kind of balance for a cheat ability such as Resurrection. Still, even stranger was that if you killed yourself, you could gain some experience. At first these two seemed to balance each other out, but while the penalty was linear, the experience gained was exponential. So by your second suicide you’d receive twice as much experience and then four times as much for the third. It came out to quite an impressive figure.

Due to this, Melpomene was able to evolve several times. From High Elf to Royal High Elf. then on to Arch Elf and finally Demi Elf. She was now just a step away from Godhood.

Nevertheless her curse had yet to disappear. Perhaps it was so strong that it would only disappear once she became a God.

The time it took me to think of this Melpomene had already died another 10 times, and in this manner we passed our entire night, up until the early morning.

“Melpomene, let’s stop here for now.”

“There are only about 9,000 times left, don’t you want to regain your necklace as soon as possible?”

“It’s fine, I’m not in much of a hurry.”

“Then please go back first, Master. I’ll stay back and clean up the blood.”