chapter 91

Princess Mayardus stared at me arrogantly, knowing she had me trapped. The Count’s family looked on anxiously, awaiting my response while Lilinor stood to the side with an amused expression.

I closed my eyes to think.

‘There must be a way out of this one. Although she’s clearly trying to make things difficult for me, she must have a purpose for this. If I can grasp that then maybe I can find a way out, there no such thing as a perfect trap, right?’

I got some inspiration from the word ‘Perfect’.

‘It can’t be perfect, she isn’t omnipotent. There must be a way to get a positive result for me.’

“Johra? Why are you taking so long? You couldn’t have fallen asleep right?”

Ignoring her teasing, I tried to think faster.

‘What if it really is the perfect setup? The Count can’t go against the Princess’ will. Her will… wait, for royalty their honor is even more important than their lives. Yes, that’s her weakness.’

I opened my eyes and met her gaze.

“Have you come up with your requests?”

“Yes, I’m confident that the Count can accept them and that it wouldn’t betray your Majesty’s honor.”

“Pray tell.”

Her eyes glittered with fascination, wondering what I had come up with.

‘I’m sure you won’t have seen this one coming.’

“My first request is for you to give me three examples of what you consider to be reasonable requests. My second request is the right to pick one out of those three.”

The princess’ complexion changed dramatically whereas the Count remained neutral.

I had satisfied as her demands and gotten around her trap. Since she was the one making the suggestions the Count is sure to accept them. Also, her honor would prevent her from giving too small of a request, so I was sure to gain something.

Lilinor gave me a pat on the back, impressed with my choice. Surprisingly, the princess also had a satisfied smile, just like when she lost to me in chess, she was gracious in defeat.

“Count Sion, are his requests acceptable?”

“Indeed they sound fair.”

After nodding back, with an air of nobility she commanded.

“Everyone except Johra can leave, I will announce my requests in private.”

As they all left the room she sported a mischievous smile.

“Good, so my first example is for you to ask for my hand in marriage. The second is to request all of my property. The last one is to ask me about this key, you can also choose all three….”

Tak!

She pulled out an unremarkable key the size of one’s index finger and placed it on the table.

‘How cunning! She is basically forcing me to choose the the third one. Although the first too aren’t simple requests which would go against her honor, they are so over the top that if I were to choose them I would anger the entire royal family. It’s another one of her traps!’

My face turned red from thinking too much.

“Johra I’ve never seen any material like the one the key is made out of. It’s atomic weight is over 2,000.”