chapter 57

“Rise and shine! Everyone line up outside, double time.”

A deep voice coming from outside woke up all of us Elves. Although I was tired, I knew it would be a bad idea to disappoint our new owners on the first day. Likewise Pirin woke up from her deep sleep.

“Let’s hurry up and get ready.”

Pirin and I exchanged a knowing look and quickly got dressed before lining up outside. There were hundreds of us, all in an orderly formation. We were flanked by dozens of the golden insects that had led us to our rooms just last night. Going solely by our numbers, we should have been able to overwhelm them, but we knew that it would be impossible.

“From this day forth you are now slaves of Necropolis. This is a great city where even the lowliest slaves are well fed and housed, but never forget your statuses as slaves. You are all a foolish race which chose to stand against us, so you will work and work until you pay off your crimes!”

We were then led to the large farms and pastures on the outskirts of the city, under the careful watch of the flying insects. From sunrise to sunset, our labor consisted of caring for the plants and animals.

It was enjoyable for most of us because Elves had an affinity for nature and animals, we enjoyed taking care of them. Also, the insect overseers simply watched us work, not edging us on or inflicting pain in order for us to work faster.

“Can we really be called slaves?”

Pirin who had been playing with the young lambs suddenly asked me.

“It is indeed fun to play with the animals and although agriculture can be hard work, are the rulers of this city unaware that it is a joy for us?”

The truth was that Gnoss and Noradriana were aware, and had gone to great lengths to create an enjoyable environment for the captive Elves.

If either Johra or Valenor had known about this, they might have been a bit angry as their resentment for the Elves ran deeper. However, many elves also felt that it was too good to be true and didn’t believe that slaves could be treated so well.

“It’s time to eat.”

The bread and soup that the insects distributed among us was of a heavenly flavor. What more can be said about a grain which had been soaked in that sacred nectar, or the meat of the animals that were raised on such a superior grain.

For the Elves who had not lived in Elfenheim for tens of thousands of years, this was the ideal food for them because their bodies were more sensitive to it’s heavenly properties. Despite thousands of years having past since they had fallen to this world, their race’s constitution hadn’t changed much and was craving the nutrients found in this revolutionary food.

“This!”

“Woaaa!”

Outbursts of pure nutritional ecstasy were heard here and there, as if their bodies recognized the taste of home. Although the insects had prepared generous rations, it wasn’t nearly enough and it had all disappeared in a flash.

“Wow, this was really tasty right?”

“It’s a bit suspicious that they are feeding us so well, are they trying to fatten us up for later?”

“Ah ha ha!”

Pirin and I joked together, it had been some time now since we could live peacefully, with a comfortable bed and abundant food.

It was indeed the life of a slave in Necropolis; warm bed, great food and an enjoyable job. It wasn’t only Pirin and I who were content, but all the Elves walked around with a vibrant smile.