chapter 17

The next floor was surprisingly very cold, even the walls were freezing to the touch.

'Whats going on?'

We had just arrived from what was a tropical-like climate, to now almost being in the Antarctic. The ground was frozen over,and my poor insects were reluctant to even step onto the new floor. Although it wasn't too bad near the stairs, the further out you went, the colder it would be.

[You have learned Cold resistance Lv1]

'You guys wait for me here.'

The cold was an insect's nemesis, and I didn't want to torture my poor minions too much.

Also, I wanted to scout ahead so as not to get caught in an impossible situation.

'Lord, we also....'

Just stay here and be prepared for whatever enemy might come. I don't know what we will be facing, so if I need to make a quick escape, you guys will be my fall back position.

'...'

They sent no telepathic responses, as they remained quiet, ashamed of their inability to contribute. I walked into the hall, leaving the insects far behind.

After walking for a short time, I came across a peculiar door.

'This definitely looks like a door a boss monster would be hiding behind.'

At the end of the hall stood a magnificently decorated arched gate. Thick, black iron doors, inlaid with gorgeous silver and golden sculptures, depicting a wide variety of creatures. For a moment, I thought myself to be standing before the gates of Heaven.

'I can't seem to use my Status check from outside the door....'

I was careful by nature, so I decided to make an elaborate trap in order to be prepared for any scenario.

'If I'm going to make a trap, might as well go all out.'

The temperature in the hall remained constantly well below zero. It was a situation where I could finally make use of that useless skill.

"Water Sphere! Water Sphere! ..."

[Water Sphere level 1 ➢ 2]
...
[Water Sphere level 5 ➢ 6]

Spraying water on the ground I was able to make a thick sheet of slippery ice. Also, although it was somewhat time consuming, I could concentrate the spell on a single point to create some ice sculptures. These could be used to confuse the enemy or hide behind to dodge spells if I were ever in a tight spot. I took my time to create as many of these sculptures as possible in the hall.

'This should help.'

I was forcing myself to think positively, despite the fact that I had gone over the top and made far too many of these sculptures. I had turned the hall into a giant ice maze, well at least it's better than nothing.

I had spent the better part of a full day creating this giant frozen maze. As I became more proficient in the use of Ice, I was even able to use it to create reflections which could confuse the enemy.

'Hmm... somehow I feel like I'm ready.'

[Magic Research has been completed]

[Magic Research level 1 ➢ 2]

[You have learned Gravity Control Lv1]

'Ohh! This is just the kind of spell I needed!'

Every time I fought a large monster, I wished I would have this skill.