Chapter 38: Deeper Understanding

Jayla
After long consideration it's time for La'Toya to get more active. I like her she has a certain fire to her that will help her with the task at hand. I wait for La'Toya in Orlando's room. I had to watch him to make sure he didn't leave. I see his father in him with a mixture of me. I can't help, but to..never mind. La'Toya walks in and I stand up. She places her keys on the table beside Orlando.

"Come into my office."

She follows behind me without saying a word. The only sounds that were heard were the echoes of our footsteps. We come into the office and I close the door.

"Have a seat."

She sits down and I slide her the twenty files on all the children of Legacy.

"What's this?"

"The twenty that we discussed. I need you to pick out the top ten that's gonna go with the mission."

La'Toya
The top ten?

"Take your time. They all have special abilities."

I take a look at them one by one. The group I'm gonna piece together is gonna be well rounded that way they can rely on each other. I look over all them and I know this is gonna be a hard decision. I want to be fair so I'm thinking about sending five girls and five boys. The thing with that is if their abilities will add up. I know I don't want Orlando to go, but he's a strong one. I push his file to the side. I sort them out from age to ability. Orlando's mother reaches over and picks up one of the files.

"This one is currently suspended until further notice."

It's like we are playing checkers. As she jumps one of my pieces she's looking for the next move I'm going to make. I have 19 members to choose from. I'm assuming she's gonna work with the adults. Okay my top ten are gonna be Orlando, RJ, Carlos, Miguel, Shawn, Jojo, Summer, La'Toya, La'Shayla, and Kami. I put Tony and Rosa on the back up list just in case Ms. Washington didn't like the idea of the future royals being on the line.

"I've came to a final decision."

She looks over my shoulder and she writes down the names on the board. After she wrote the last name she stands back and observe it.

"Why is Orlando and your name on the list?"

"With all due respect your majesty. A royal is only good if they serve and lead their people. What type of royals would we be if we didn't help and protect our own people? I already know Orlando is gonna fight one way or another. He isn't gonna take no for an answer."

"Hmm a hard yet prudent decision. You know this comes with a lot of risk?"

"Yes I do. Which is why I already made a backup plan."

"A girl with plans I see. Alright you got me so what's the back up plan?"

Orlando
Doc walks in and checks my vitals.

"So Doc when imma get up out of here?"

"Whenever you heal up."

"When will that be?"

"When ya body decides to."

I gotta get outta here. I look beside me and I see La'Toya's keys.

"I'm good Doc? Am I healing properly?"

"Yeah you all good."

When he walks out I get up slowly and the pain was throbbing at first. Then it eased up a lil. If I was gonna make a run for it now is the time. I get the keys and head to La'Toya's car. Good thing she drove the Maserati. I unlock the car and open the the trunk. I slowly put my body in the trunk and close it down.

La'Toya
I was gonna check on Orlando, but his mom told me to go straight home. I don't have my keys on me. I guess I left it in my car. When I get to my car my keys were in the ignition. Hmm I guess I was in a hurry. Now I need to go home and continue my studies. Mama Washington told me we'd have a meeting soon with the ten. Time to get on this work tho.

Orlando
Every time La'Toya hit a bump in the road I'd groan from pain. We really need to be spending funds to fix these roads. If I keep on with this noise then she'll know I'm back here. I bite down on my shirt to keep the noise at bay. She stops and I hear her lock up the car. I count 30 Mississippi's and I unlock it.

Jaida
I open the door and hug Toya.

"I thought you said Orlando tryna heal?"

"He is."

"Then why is he right behind you? You stole him outta there didn't you?"

La'Toya turns around and she narrows her eyes at him.

Orlando
Of all things to be greeted with I was sort of kinda not expecting this one.

"What are you doing here?!" You're suppose to be healing! Orlando! No I'm not finna allow this."

"Not the greeting I was expecting. What are you doing?"

La'Toya pushes a few buttons and put the phone to her ear. She walks off and has a conversation. She nods and looks a little more relaxed.

"Since you wanna be a stole away that's fine. Now come in the house. I just got you a way back into school."

Leave it to her to persuade people.

"You're the boss nurse Robinson."

"We can shoot videos and stuff. Hurry up!"

I laugh and she hurries me into her house. She plugs her iPhone to the speaker. She smirks at me and I know she has something up her sleeve.

"Jaida get the camera ready."

"I'm on it."

"What are y'all up to?"

"Start rolling."

"Hey guys it's ya girl La'Toya. I'm here with my mans. Y'all know I do it big so now we finna do the thing."

Boo'd up blares up and she starts dancing.

"Come on dance with me!"

I can't resist I do a lil sum sum. Before I know it we're singing together and Jaida is cheesing at us. When the song stops I can't seem to let go of her.

"Alright I don cut off the camera and the music stopped. You can let her go now."

All my attention is on my one and only. I lick my lips and I keep her from looking away. A blush creeps on her face. She doesn't wanna push me away but she does it for Jaida's sake.

Jaida
"I gotcha school work. Oh and for us to pass English class they got this new community service project thing we have to do. She said she'd go more into detail when y'all get back."

"Great just what we need. Right Lando?"

"Where my work?"

"Right here."

"Well let's get started on this."