Chapter 35: Confession

Orlando
I been up for a lil minute, but I've been listening in to the conversation my mom and La'Toya been having. I wanna see if they can connect. So far it's been okay, but I can tell they got off to a rough start from the tone of her voice. One thing my girl did make a good call, but the question is who is gonna be in the ten that goes. I know I better be in that number one way or another. I don't care what anybody says.

"Hmm that's not a bad decision at all."

I can't take this any longer my nose is starting to itch and my throat is too. I try to suppress my cough, but it never works. It's like one of those moments when you try to hold in you cough in class, but it makes your eyes water and comes out anyway. Yep my cough came out. All eyes were on me when I coughed. La'Toya squeezes the remaining oxygen outta me when she wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Good to see you too baby girl. Now if you don't mind you can ease up a lil bit?"

"Oh sorry."

My throat has a lil scratchy sound to it. I hope I ain't getting sick. My mom cautiously walks over to me and La'Toya steps to the side. She hugs me and I hug her back. She holds onto me longer than a normal hug should last. It's all good considering what we lost earlier. The hug may have been just an action to normal people, but this one spoke meaningful words. This hug let me know that no matter what storm comes our way we have each other. No one is gonna come in between us ever. So much love and support was in it too.

"I guess I'll leave y'all to it. Orlando and your excellency."

She was about to curtesy when my mom stopped her.

"A future queen never curtesy. You can call me mom, Ms. Washington, mother in law.., and the list goes on."

This is the first time I ever seen my mom react this way toward a girl. I can tell La'Toya feels a little uncomfortable with it. My mom speaks up again.

"I'm glad you're okay son. Don't scare us like this again. That was some reckless behavior you can not afford to do as future king or king. If you are injured you are suppose to report it to one of your members. That way they know how to get you the help you need in the most safe and fastest way. Pulling a step like you did was foolish. Don't let it happen again."

"Yes ma'am I won't."

"As for you La'Toya. Good job and keep up the good work. And you can stay I have to catch up with some work. Make sure you keep an eye on him."

"As you wish."

My mom leaves and La'Toya sits on my bed.

"What?"

"Orlando you scared the crap outta me. You told me you was straight, but you weren't. I asked you more than once. You lied straight to my face. Now what if you had of died? I would've had to live with that for the rest of my life."

"Shhh. It's okay I'm here. I'm not one of them weak dudes you be dealin wit. Imma strong one so you don't gotta worry bout me."

She punched the mess outta my shoulder.

"What was that for?'"

"A quick remainder for you not to do me like that no more."

"Okay I won't geez."

"Good so scoot over so I can sleep. Don't hog the pillow or the blanket."

Ryan
I got an incoming face time call. By that time I was getting stitches in my thigh. Jaida was right there holding my arm. I flinched only once. I told Jaida to slide it and give it to me. My mama has a wild look worn on her face.

"You can't do NOTHING RIGHT!!!! You had to just keep the kids busy while I got on Jayla. You couldn't even do that. It's sad I knew I should've gotten abortion. You can't do nothing I ask. I don't ask much. You lost your sister and everything. Do you still have La'Toya?"

"No."

"You idiot! We could've at least played that card. Well do you still have her friend?"

"Yeah..."

"So at least you went through that plan. Tell me sweet child of mine. Did you get her to fall in love with you yet?"

My blood was rising in temperature. What did I do next you asked? Well I pulled a peppa pig and hung up. It was already bad enough that I didn't have any headphones in and when you on FaceTime it sounds like you got them on speaker phone. I notice Jaida's grip on me loosened. It's like she's trying to decide whether to hold onto me forever or let me go forever. I couldn't just let her come to an answer without hearing me say something to persuade her in my favor.

"Jaida it isn't like that honest...."

"Now you wanna talk about honesty? Tell me Ryan was it just all fun and business to you?"

"It was at first, but now it ain't."

"Listen Ryan I'm tired of your lies. You ain't nothing, but a slick snake with a sharp, cunning tongue like a knife. Oh yeah every word you said cut me. I knew I shouldn't have trusted you. Everybody told me not to. Here I go trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. Lie after lie and kiss after kiss. It's like you promise me the world and then cheat me out of it. I've made a whole fool out of myself. I can't entirely blame you for that one. What I can say is that you've made me stronger and you won't ever in your lifetime find a ride or die like me."