Chapter 13: Broken Bond

Big Mama
"Lorenzo get Ryan."

I grab the megaphone and speak into it.

"Family meeting now!"

I drop the megaphone and head into my house. I go into the study and lean on the bookshelf. These chilen kipin my joy. Mama just got out the cooler and they actin a fool. Words can't describe how I'm feeling. My children and grandchildren ease in the room. They can feel the tension that is filling the room. My mama gives my shoulder.

"Go easy on them mija."

After she says that she leaves the room.

"Close the door."

The one closest to the door causes it.

"Jayla what happened?"

"Why do y'all always ask her first? Y'all always take her side! Y'all never ask my opinion!!"

"Kayla Yanna Powers! Now is not the time for outburst! You will have your turn. I want everything to be decent and in order! Jayla you have the floor."

"Okay G-ma. I was by the drink cooler and I looked over at the kids playing. I see Ryan snatch the football from RJ. Then Orlando snatches the football from Ryan and gives it back to RJ. The Ryan pushes my child to the ground. While he's on the ground Ryan is kicking him. Then Orlando grabs his foot and brought him down. The he climbed on top of him and started punching him. I ran over to them and broke it up.

"What you not finna do is make my baby out to be a bully."

"I'm getting real tired of you! You trying to flex and stunt. I'm trying to be the understanding twin, but you making it real hard for me to be. I don't know why you frontin', but you need to take a chill pill! I've been letting you off the hook..."

"Have you not seen what you've been doing to me?! I've always been second best to you. It's always Jayla this and Jayla that."

"You always been this jelly? The truth has finally came out! Tell me Kayla has the truth set you free yet?"

"If I'd been out two minutes before you. I'd be over the Legacy. My kids would take over after me. You have it all and the family wrapped around your finger. Talk to the hand!"

"My son is the future king! I'm finna tell you what you finna do. I'm bout to say this loud and clear. Teach your son to respect his future king. The very next I mean the very next time he gets out of place. We won't be so merciful. Got it? Am I being crystal clear for ya Kayla?"

"Y'all just gonna let her do me like this? Y'all ain't gon say nothing? Dead silent huh? This is how y'all always done me! I'm the black sheep of the family. I thought this Legacy was about family. Wow our family is breaking apart and y'all ain't gon try to save it! I've been drowning and lonely since I was in this family. Nun of y'all care, but that's okay. All y'all gon get yours. Big Mama you ain't got nun to say?"

"I'm sorry baby, but I can't uphold you in your wrongs. I'm sorry you've been feeling this way. We can get you the help you need."

"Help? Help? I ain't the one who needs fixing! Jayla needs help." I watch as Kayla goes up in Jayla's face.

"I'm sorry your majesty! Next time you see me you gonna wish you hadn't did what you did."

She curtsied and spit at Jayla's feet. She hit the door hard and heavy. She picked up Ryan and Rylee. She put them in her car and sped out. Orlando wandered into the study.

"Big Mama did I cause Auntie to leave and take my cousins?"

"No Orlando this is something that has been going on for years. The dirty laundry has finally been aired."

"Aired? Mama washes our laundry."

"Orlando go ahead and play with your cousins while you can. It may be a while before you see them in the same place again."

"Okay Big Mama. Can I get a cookie?"

"You can have all the cookies you want baby."

"Thanks Big Mama I love you!"

"Love you too and make sure the other kids get some too."

Little Orlando ran outside and passed cookies to all of the kids.

Jayla
"Big Mama what are we gonna do now?"

"You're over Legacy baby it's up to you."

"Well members of Legacy I'm sad to announce that from this day until further notice we will not have a family get together. This has proven that we may now have a possible enemy on our side. So in order to protect ourselves and our children we won't do this anymore until it's safe. So if we meet up it won't be all of us at the same time. We also need to reset all of the passwords and get new phones. With a new phone we each will receive a new number only all of us in the circle will know. I don't know how Kayla is thinking. I don't know how she plans to raise Ryan. One thing is for certain this protocol will protect us and our kids. Now everyone we're going to sleep here for the night. So we need to continue this family reunion like this event didn't happen. We have to stay strong not just for ourselves, but for the children. So let's eat, dance, listen to music, drink, talk noise, play volleyball, play basketball, and have a good time. Let's get crunk!"

We all empty out of the room. Big Mama touches my shoulder.

"Are you okay Jayla? You don't have to be tough around me I know you're hurting."

"Big Mama I feel like I have the whole world I'd on my shoulders. I feel like I just lost my other half. She just ripped out my whole heart. If I knew she was feeling like this I would've changed it. I would've helped her. She could've had Legacy if that means I would've had her as my sister. I love her still even though she just broke our bond. I have to Keep on trunkin' like you taught us."