Chapter 4: Don't leave me.

Orlando
I feel chills come as the guilt washes over me. I didn't think my harmless teasing and button pushing would cause her to get in a car accident. I shut my eyes tightly and pull my lips in. I feel the tears trying to form but my mama ain't raise no punk I push em back. Crying ain't gon fix nun. I grab my phone and call up my homeboy RJ.

"What's up Big O?"

"Cut the formals I need you to do sum for me."

"Whatcha need brutha?"

"Remember dem two girls in second block?"

"Which one? The one that was mad about the seats or her friend?"

"Well it gotta do with both of em." I take a deep breath trying not to spazz.

"Okay...so what I need to do?"

"Find out her friend's number fast and give it to me."

"Mmm somebody tryna get some.."

My patience is wearing thin and my blood is trying to boil.

"Just get me the number," I say coldly through gritted teeth. I hang up the phone and start pacing.

"You love her?"

"Love who?"

"Boy I may be knocking on 100 years but I'm not stupid! Now do you love that girl that was in the accident or not?!"

"I don't know Big Mama I just feel like it's all my fault."

"How is it your fault?" She asks me with her head cocked to the side. I explained what happened from the beginning until now. Big Mama doesn't say anything she just listens.

"I done told ya parents now is the age to tell you about the business, but no they won't listen. Well I think imma tell you a lil bit now before you go."

RJ
I know finding that girl's friend number is going to be hard. For the simple fact that they don't really mess with anybody else but each other. I admire them for keeping their circle small, but y'all making it hard for a brutha. I knew from the sound of Orlando's voice that something is up and I'm guessing my joke didn't lighten up the mood.

First thing first I need is a name to go by. I launch google and stare at the search bar. I say a silent prayer as I type in our school name and click on the homepage. I scroll pass the announcements and a picture catches my eye. I stop scrolling and spot the girls from second block on the front row of the picture. My eyes dart to the caption below.

L to R Jaida Green, La'Toya Robinson, Kai Reddick, Cat Dickens, and Amiya Evergreen. So now I have a name and a face. I screenshot the picture and post it on all of my social media. On each post I caption it, "If anyone knows Jaida Green's number and it's right I'll pay ya💵💰."

Jaida
The red lights are flashing and the alarm is blaring. It's like time has slowed down and I'm frozen in place. The only movement with my body is the tear racing down my cheek. The scene of the doctors rushing a patient to surgery causes my breathing to speed up.

"La'Toya?!!!!! La'Toya?!!!"

My feet start running until I reach the patient they are rolling. I see my best friend laying there with tubes attached to her and an oxygen mask on her face. Her face is battered with scratches and bruises. Her arms are purple and blue her legs are red.

"Somebody move her!!! We have to get this young lady to surgery now!!!"

"No that right there is my sista I ain't going no where!!"

"Whoa feisty slow down."

"Let me go!!! Now somebody come get they man!!!"

I can't do anything but watch the doctors disappear behind the surgery doors. I burst out with tears and I don't care who sees. The guy who pulled me away puts my face in his chest and holds me. His cologne is intoxicating I smell it every time I inhale. After I calm down he leads me to a chair and I sit down.

"Aye everything is gonna be okay. She's in good hands."

"How do you know?" I sniffle.

"Well I don't, but I do know you have to have faith. Instead of thinking of the worse look on the bright side."

"I wouldn't expect you to understand. You can't relate."
I can tell by the way his face twitches and lip slacks that I hit a nerve.

"Imma let that slide cause you hurting, but you don't know what I've been through. You don't know what I'm going through."

I watch him as he walks off. He's right and I'm wrong. Me being upset doesn't justify my actions either. I run after this mysterious stranger.

La'Toya
"La'Toya can you hear me?"

I open my eyes but they're too heavy I just want to sleep.

"La'Toya! La'Toya! She's unconscious. She's bleeding internally we gotta stop it.

Lord if it be ya will lemme live please. Ion wanna leave this soon.

Jaida
"Excuse me Mista Mysterious!"

"Mista Mysterious now that's a new one."

"Look I apologize okay I was wrong. Now can you stop walking so fast. Like dang give a girl a break I ran up three stories, ran up to my best friend, and now I'm running after you."

"Alright lil Miss diva. I tell you how you can make it up to me."

"Depends on what it is."

"If you give me your number we can start over and maybe go out to eat sometime."

"I guess."

Shoot I ain't the one to pass up a food offer like that. I take his phone and I put my number in.

"There ya happy now. Are all my sins forgiven?"

"Yes indeed now go ahead and wait on me in the waiting room. I got something to attend to."

"Before I go what's your name?"

"If I told you I won't be mysterious now would I?"

"Boy don't even. Now tell me ya name or lose my number."

"My name is Ryan."

I nod and head back to the waiting room.

Ryan
As soon as Jaida leaves my side I slide up on RJ snap and give him Jaida's number. RJ texts that he is gonna check to see if it was real before he pays me. I wait and I get the notification that he is typing. I open it and he asks me to name my price. I ain't wanna be greedy but I ask for 5k.

He replies Ight what's the address?I give him one of an abandoned house and tell him to slip it under the doormat. Mama ain't raise no fool. I'm not giving anybody my actual address. What I look like? I sit beside Jaida and wrap my arm around her. I can tell this is gonna be a long night.