Chapter 13 ; Solving Problems Through Dreams

Natsuki and I walk through the portal and are immediately transported to a long, seemingly infinite, dark corridor that stretched on with clouds of darkness covering the rest of the stretched space, obscuring our vision.

Immediately upon entering, I felt negativity, angry yet pitiful thoughts, no feelings, beings barely being held back, their respective selves being torn on affecting someone nearby.

We were the bystanders, watching someone get bullied.

The tsundere's hand slipped into mine, her face almost white-ashen, shocked and fearful. She grips mine strongly and I squeeze lightly back. Much to her dismay, however, I begin walking towards the black smoke, towards the higher concentration of choruses of discord and horror, her hand impossibly tightening around mine as we grow closer to the source.

I put a hand out and rest my hand against the barrier stopping me from seeing more, marvelling at its strange, almost liquid-y form despite looking like a gas. After a couple of seconds of keeping my hand there, however, it combusts into flames, as if it were petrol as a gas, as if my hand were a lighter. The flames settle down and form a doorway wide enough for both Natsuki and I to walk through with a little bit of space to spare.

We walk through with Natsuki now clutching my waist, shivering with fear, so I pick her up and give her a piggyback, her arms clashed over my shoulder and under my armpit, clinging to me desperately as if I were her only hope for survival.

In a world of imaginations and lucid dreams, it very well could be.

Walking through the doorway, I spot two figures one curled up sitting on the floor, their body shaking, and the other huddled over the first, doing something.

Natsuki taps my shoulder, and whispers something.

"Listen."

So I do.

I hear water drops coming from the two figures that are cloaked in almost darkness.

"Are they both crying?" She asks in a quiet, worried voice. I almost don't hear her voice, but then how could I ever forget hers?

"I don't think so," I reply. "I'm pretty sure it's just the bottom one." Natsuki slides off of my back, feet softly hitting the floor, her body leaving mine.

She doesn't try and reach for my hand again.

We both walk forward slowly.

Step.

Step.

Step.

"Stop it."

We freeze and look at each other.

It's Sayori.

I hadn't realized, but the voices were now back, having disappeared when we were further away.

I caught very few snippets, the words washing over me and forcing me to my knees along with Natsuki as despair, hopelessness, hatred drown us, bring us under, the very strength of the thoughts rendering us useless. A wave of black letters drown us

My partner's hands find me in the blinding