Chapter 36

Anya's POV

I checked my hand phone to see if I got any reply from Kai for my last message. I was shocked to find myself getting disappointed for not receiving any response from him. I chided myself for being so excited to hear from him. I was contemplating if I should have been so bold and sassy in my messages to him. I could never be in control of my senses in his presence but giving in to his charm even in his virtual presence would be a nightmare if he realised this truth. If he thought that he could always have an upper hand then it was high time I broke his illusions. I smirked to myself with new found confidence and went in search of Ray. Ray was sitting on the carpeted floor in my room and was playing with the toys I got for him the last time I went shopping. " Ray?! Are you hungry??Your Chachu might arrive at any time after an hour. Do you want to have your dinner now?" I asked him after sitting beside him. " Yaayaa!!" He squealed with joy and jumped into my arms. " I am Soo hungry Yaaayaaa." He answered me by rubbing his tummy. I giggled at his antics and pecked on his forehead. I got up with him in my arms and walked towards the dining table. Once I made him sit on a chair I started plating dinner for him.

" Yaayaa!! I am not hungry for rice or chapati. I am hungry for cake. Haa. That too double chocolate cake." He said cheekily. " You ate one cupcake today and now it is time for dinner. So first dinner then dessert next." I answered him. " Will you give me cake for the dessert after dinner?" He asked me with lot of hope glittering in his innocent eyes. I was worried about how he would react if I denied him cake now. I liked Ray a lot and didn't want to deny him anything but too much of chocolate in cake is not good for his health. So I thought about it for few seconds and came up with a plausible solution which might convince him to give up the idea of having cake after dinner. " You know what!?! Since you are my best friend I will give you something very special for dessert. It will be very tasty. Will you try it?" He scrunched up his face cutely as if he was thinking deeply about my suggestion and then nodded yes. After having dinner, he asked me about his dessert with puppy eyes. " Yaayaa! What is this special dessert? When will you give it to me? " I took him to the kitchen and started working on the dessert I promised him. I decided to serve him fresh berries with vanilla ice cream and bitter chocolate sauce. I started gathering the ingredients to make the sauce with bitter chocolate. After the sauce was prepared to consistency, I took out a spoonful and asked him to taste it. " It tastes so nice. Can I eat it now?" He asked me while I was pouring the liquid chocolate mixture into the bottle for him to take it home. " That is just the sauce. We will eat this sauce with some fruits and ice cream." I told him. " Fruits!! I don't like fruits. But If it is with chocolate sauce then I suppose I can eat fruits but only if you put lot and lots of sauce on them." He replied me with a lot of excitement. I couldn't help but smile at his delightful attitude. " Well let me do it then. " I took a small scoop of ice cream in a bowl. I added few berries and roasted nuts to the scoop. Then drizzled it with a generous amount of chocolate sauce. He digged into the dessert and was moaning in appreciation. " Now my stomach is full. " He exclaimed after finishing his ice cream by rubbing his tummy making me burst into laughter. He helped me in cleaning the mess we made of the house. I didn't ask him for it but he did whatever he could in clearing the mess. He was a very well mannered boy with a pleasant attitude. We went outside and sat on the cane swing in the lawn once we made sure everything was in it's rightful place in the house. " Yaayaa!! Can I come here next Sunday to meet you again?! Next week onwards I will go to school and Chachu told me that I should not disturb you in office. So we cannot talk on phone anytime and I will miss you a lot. " He asked me all of a sudden. I was dumbfounded to answer that question. What can I answer him!?! Even though I liked spending time with him I couldn't promise him anything without consulting his family. Kai was alright with me spending a day with Ray this time but I wouldn't presume that he would agree to it all the time. Kai was just one member of their family and given Ray's condition they all were allowed to have their doubts and fears with the idea of Ray spending time with me, a complete stranger till few days back. I still remembered how protective Vikrant was after the accident. And I didn't expect any less from Ray's family. " We are meeting this Sunday. Did you forget that place I told you about, the special place where I will take you to on that day? Don't worry about school. You will enjoy it. I will miss you too. I am getting bored now. Shall we play a game till your Chachu comes to pick you up?" I asked him hoping his mind would be diverted from that topic. And it appeared Gods were on my side, so we started playing the game of blindfold in which the person who was blindfolded should catch the other person and the winner can demand anything from the other person. Even though it was dark outside, the lights along the pathway in the garden towards the house brightenend the place. Since the gate was locked there was no threat. The lawn was without any plants, pots or shrubs so we could move freely without any hurdles and it was big enough for two of us to play the game of blindfold. Ray asked me to blindfold him first. After few minutes of escaping from him by running here and there I was caught by him. " I found you. I found you" he started saying while jumping up and down. " I lost. So what do you want from me?". I asked him thinking that he might ask for new cakes or chocolates but his answer melted my heart. " I want you to come meet me every Sunday." I tried to convince him somehow but couldn't. " Every Sunday??!; It might not be possible always as I might not ....."before I could answer completely he interrupted me. " Then I will come meet you. Please Yaayaa. You said you are my best friend. Don't you want to spend time with me?! Did I make any mischief today that you don't like me anymore?" He asked me with tear brimmed eyes breaking my resolve and my heart. " No Ray, Nothing of such sort. We can meet on Sundays as long as your family agrees to it" He smiled at my answer and hugged me.