The cold night air hit my bare shoulders and I shivered. At least it felt better than the suffocating tension in the car. I tried to mask the hurt I felt. I felt the tears prickle in my eyes. He slammed the car door and started to walk towards me.

I turned around. He was standing right behind me. Before he could say anything I opened my mouth.

"Look, Chris. I didn't say this to make you feel bad for not caring back. Whatever bullshit speech you made up to spare my feelings you can save it. Let's just get you the hospital before-" I started to mutter when he pulled me against his chest.

I gasped in shock when his strong arms wrapped around me. My head rested on his chest as I heard his erratic heartbeat. Suddenly I didn't care about getting bloody.

"I'm sorry" He whispered weakly.

"I'm not mad, Chris. Just promise me something" I whispered as I pulled away. Our eyes made contact and he frowned.

"Anything," He said with a cough.

"Promise me that you'll get better" I muttered. And with that, I went on my tippy toes and left a small kiss on his cheek.

Before he could say anything I opened the door, catching the attention of all the nurses. At the sight of our bloodied state, they ran up to us. Chris seemed to be even worse now. He stumbled to his feet as I caught him, making him lean on me.

"What happened?" One of the nurses asked as the rest brought a stretcher. Chris started to cough even more and I found myself caressing his hand.

"He was coughing up blood," I said. The nurse nodded, giving me a knowing look.

"Can you lay down here?" One of the nurses asking Chris. His eyes landed on me. I knew he wanted to protest, saying he was completely fine. I gave him a small nod and he sighed.

"Yes," He said as they helped him down. They put him on the stretcher and I gave him my hand.

"It's gonna be okay" I whispered before they took him away. The nurse turned back to me.

"Let's get inside, sweetheart. You'll tell me everything that happened." She told me. I nodded, not taking my eyes off his retiring figure. We went inside as she took her clipboard.

"Does the patient have any background history? Did anything like this ever happen before?" She asked me. I bit my lip.

"I don't know for sure. But I'm assuming yes" I said. She nodded.

"When did this start? And what happened?" She asked me.

"It started this morning. He had a fever and he was coughing a lot. I thought it was just a cold. He went to sleep and I was trying to put his fever down. He slept most of the day. Well, when he woke up he started to cough up blood. I brought him here immediately." I explained, causing her to nod.

"I don't think it's a respiratory tract infection though. I think it's something more serious. He needs to be checked out" I said. The nurse gave the clipboard to someone and told them to take him to the laboratory.

"Please sit in the waiting room. I'll be back shortly when we have any type of information" She told me. I gave her a nod as I sat down on one of the chairs. I held my head in my hands and tried to keep myself strong. I was in the hospital at night. All alone. Sitting on this damn chairs and waiting to have news about Chris.

I sat and sat. The time was passing by slower than ever. I felt like I was growing crazy. The only thing I could see where all the people being rushed to the emergency door with their family crying next to them.