22

*the next day*

Payton's P.O.V

"Payton come on wake up, were going to the hospital to see if anything has happened" I hear someone say as they shake me

"I'm awake I'm awake" I mumble. I slowly sit up and look around. I see Olivia standing next to my bed and Aaron leaning against my door frame.

"when did you get here" I say rubbing my eyes.

"just now. I figured I take you guys with me because I'm going to the hospital" he says. I nod and bite my lip. Remembering what happened.

"hes gonna be okay, come on. Get up" Olivia says. I nod and stand up. They walk out of my room to let me get changed. I close the door and throw on some jeans and a sweatshirt. I throw my hair up in a messy bun and brush my teeth. I put on some vans and grab my phone. I go downstairs and they both stand up from the couch.

"thank you. For letting me come with you guys" I mumble

"you are our friend Payton. And Shawn was all our friend. I think you deserve to see him as much as the rest of us" Aaron says. I smile and nod. We walk out of the house and I lock the door. We get into Aaron's car and start the drive to the hospital.

"do you know if they'll let us see him?" Olivia asks Aaron. I sit in the back seat looking out the window, trying to keep the tears from falling.

"i'm not sure. I really hope so" he says. I keep silent the whole ride there. Once we pull into the hospital parking lot. I start to feel the emptiness in my chest come back.

"are you coming inside?" Olivia says. Im brought out of my thoughts and nod.

"uh yeah. Sorry" I mumble. I get out and I follow them inside.

"how can I help you?" the lady sitting in front of the computer says to us

"uh yeah. I was wondering if we could go visit one of your patients, Shawn Mendes" Aaron says. She types on her laptop and then looks back at us

"well. It says here that Shawn was rushed into Major surgery last night but it says that the surgery was successful and he is now awake, he is in room 355" she says. I feel the lump in my throat suddenly go away.

"oh my god thank you so much" Olivia says pulling on my arm. Dragging me to the elevator. We get in and go to the 3rd floor. We find 355 and Aaron slightly knocks. We wait a few seconds before his dad opens the door once he sees its us. A smile forms on his face

"hey guys, come in, Shawn you have company" he says. I follow inside the room and stay behind Aaron and Olivia.

"hey guys" I hear his raspy voice. I look at him to see his face is all beat up. He has a black eye, a busted lip. And a huge bruise on his cheek.

"hey Shawn, how are you feeling dude" Aaron says sitting next to him.

"I'm doing okay I guess. Just a little sore" he says still not noticing me. Olivia looks back at me. Making Shawn put his head up. Once he realizes its me. I watch his face completely drop making everyone look at me. I break eye contact with him and look down at my feet.

"okay well. Since you guys are here. Do you mind staying here for awhile if we go get something to eat?" his mom says.

"of course, well keep Shawn company" Olivia says. they grab their stuff and leave, once the door closes, I hear Shawn let out a shaky breath. I look at him to see he's looking straight back at me.

"uhm, Olivia, Aaron, do you care if I talk to Shawn alone for a couple of minutes" I bite my lip

"yeah sure, well be outside" Olivia says. I watch them leave, I sit at the foot of Shawn's bed and I look down at my hands

"Why are you here Payton" Shawn suddenly says. I feel a tear roll down my cheek and I shake my head

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry this happened to you. this is all my fault. I over reacted and I just. I'm sorry. I get it if you want me out of your life. I just needed to make sure you were okay" I say, my voice cracking. I feel the bed shift, and Shawn hand grabs my shaky hand

"this isn't your fault. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. I just. I love you Payton. you are the one person I want to be with. and I thought I lost you. and I'm sorry. can we, can we start over?" he says. I smile and lean into him, giving him a hug, making sure to be careful.

I love you too Shawn" I whisper. he pulls away and grabs my face, slowly leaning in. our lips colliding. it was just a slow gentle kiss. I hear the door click, meaning someone opened it so i back away and stand up.

"were back" His dad smiles at us. I bite my lip and nod. Aaron and Olivia following them.

"that was fast" Shawn says.

"yeah well. the cafeteria doesn't open until 11 and you get out later today so we figured wed wait until you get out and we can all go get something?" His mom says looking at the rest of us.

"uh yeah we'd love to go" Olivia says, looking at me. I nod and smile. glancing back at Shawn he smirks at me and leans back

"well you guys are more then welcome to stay, or if youd like to leave we can always text you when they release him" Karen says

"well, I need to go home and shower and stuff" Olivia says.

"me too" I say.

"and I'm their ride so I guess I'm leaving too" Aaron laughs

"well okay. I will text you guys when they release me" Shawn says

"bye dude thanks for not dying" Aaron says hugging him. I watch Olivia hug him to. once Olivia and Aaron are talking to Mr. and Mrs. Mendes. I lean down and quickly kiss Shawn on the lips before hugging him

"I love you, thank you. for everything. ill see you when you get out" I whisper.

"I love you too Payton" he says back. I let go and turn to face the others.

"you ready?" Olivia asks me

"yup lets go" I smile.

"see you later" I say to Shawn's parents

"bye guys" they wave to us. as the door closes behind me