20

Payton's P.O.V

I knew as soon as I saw the ambulances pass me and Olivia blowing up my phone I knew something was wrong.

"hello" I mumble picking up the phone.

"Payton. Where are you?" she says really fast.

"I'm on my way to work why" I say. I hear her sniffle and I start to get worried

"Olivia what happened" I ask her.

"its Shawn. He got in an accident. Are you able to take today off and come to the hospital? Please" she says.

"yeah I'm on my way" I say and hang up. I really did not want her to hear me start to cry. I figured I'd call my boss when I got to the hospital. I rush to the hospital, when I get there. I hurry and park. I get out and rush inside the building. I see Olivia and Aaron sitting with Shawn's parents. once Olivia notices me she stands up and runs towards me, embracing me in a tight hug.

"Olivia what happened" I whisper. pulling her towards the group again.

"we don't know everything. All we know is that he was turning into the neighborhood and a drunk driver hit him from the side" his mom says. I feel the tears starting to form and I look down.

"do you guys think he'll be okay?" I let the tears fall down my cheeks.

"we all hope so. They took him back there about 5 minutes before you got here so hopefully they give us some news soon" His dad mumbles.

I don't think I've ever met him.

"Mr. Mendes, this is Payton, Shawn's friend?" Aaron says, more as a question. I nod and slightly smile, holding out my hand

this defiantly isn't the way I wanted to meet Shawn's dad.

"nice to meet you" he shakes my hand. After that, everyone stayed quiet.

"Family of Shawn Mendes?" a nurse comes into the waiting room about 5 minutes later. All of us stand up.

"I need to speak to the legal guardians of Shawn" she says. I look at Mrs. Mendes and she nods, the nurse, her and Mr. Mendes walk towards the corner of the waiting room. I look down, the tears running down my cheeks. Aaron rubs my shoulder and I look up at him

"I am so scared, this is all my fault. If I wouldn't have made him leave, he wouldn't have gotten in the accident in the first place" I say, my voice cracking

"no Payton, don't say that. this isn't your fault at all, no one knew that this was going to happen, he's going to be okay" Olivia said.

"okay. Good news and bad news" Mrs. Mendes says walking over to us with a sympathetic look on her face.

"He's going to be okay, right?" Aaron says standing up.

"yes. when the car hit him, the car flipped a couple of times but the ambulance got there on time and was able to get them here. he has a couple broken ribs and a concussion but he's going to be fine, but the doctors say that it would be best if nobody went to visit him, only close family. but If you guys would like to see him, you guys are more than welcome. Just don't overwhelm him please" she says. I smile and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in.

"uhm, well. I think it would be best if Shawn got his rest, so can we come and see him tomorrow?" Aaron says.

"that's fine, thank you guys for coming, I know it means a lot to Shawn. Well see you guys later" Mr. Mendes says, walking towards the door where the nurse was waiting for them. I let out a shaken breath grab my keys and walk towards the sliding glass doors

"Payton please talk to us" Olivia says grabbing my arm, making me turn around

"talk about what" I mumble.

"about how your ignoring us, I understand there might be something going on between you and Shawn, but you don't have to ignore me, I'm here if you need me" she says. I shake my head and step back

"Olivia, you guys don't understand, I don't belong here. I don't fit in. I'm an outcast. It's starting to seem like I'm just a waste filling up the empty space here. I'm not used to people actually wanting to be my friend. I'm not used to being the reason, someone I genuinely love and care about is in the hospital, I just. I need to go" I mumble before turning on my heel and running out the door. I run out to my car and get in. I look around and see No one followed me out here

I sit in my car for what feels like forever, when in reality it was just like 5 minutes. I look at the time on my dash board that reads 5:27. If I hurry, ill only be a little late for work. I turn on the car and start my drive to work.

*

*

*

"bye Ashley, I'll see you tomorrow" I wave and smile as she gets in her car. I'm closing so I have to make sure all the doors and such was locked. I go to the back, making sure the backdoor was shut and locked when I hear the front door chime. I slowly walk to the front to see a figure there.

"I'm sorry but were closed" I say turning on the light to see Olivia standing there, it looks like shed been crying for hours.

"Olivia what are you doing here" I mumble. She sniffles and shakes her head

"Payton... its Shawn... they don't think he'll make it through the night"