Studying

April 1, 1976

In the Hogwarts library, REMUS, MARLENE, and MARY are studying quietly at a window by the table, with books stacked all around them. LILY and JAMES enter, quietly bickering.

LILY: I told you that I don't care what you do in your free time-

JAMES: But it's a brand new Quidditch move! It's this huge formation where the whole team-

LILY: Potter, I don't care if you win twenty consecutive World Quidditch Cups. It doesn't change the fact that you're a rude and insensitive arse.

JAMES: Oh, come on! I save your friend Snape's life and this is how you treat me?

LILY: You didn't save his life! You were down there to help Remus with his transformation and he showed up-

JAMES: -he followed us-

LILY: -and you were trying to play some prank on him, but backed out at the last minute to save your own skin! How very courageous of you. Besides, it's not like he would've gotten killed.

JAMES: I'm sorry, what exactly do you think a werewolf is?

MADAME PINCE: (standing from her desk) Shhhhh!

LILY: (apologetically) Sorry!

LILY quickly takes JAMES'S arm and walks back to where their friends are sitting.

LILY: Hey.

MARLENE: Hey. It's nice seeing you two together.

LILY: We weren't. Potter just nearly got us detention with Pince.

JAMES: Oh, relax. What are you up to, mate?

REMUS: Just studying for O.W.L.s.

JAMES: Fascinating. What are you averaging, like, twelve hours a day?

MARY: (sarcastically) Pretty darn close.

REMUS: (laughing) I wish I had enough time for that. What about you?

JAMES: I've skimmed over my notes.

LILY: (skeptically) And you think you're well prepared for O.W.L.s, do you?

JAMES: I've thoroughly skimmed over my notes. Anyway, I'm not even looking to pass Divination or History of Magic. And everything else will be doable.

LILY: Can't wait when you get solid "T"s on your report.

MARLENE: What's a "T"? I thought the lowest grade was a "D", for dreadful?

LILY: No, "T"'s the lowest.

MARY: What's it stand for?

LILY: Troll.

The friends laugh together, unnerving MADAME PINCE enough to approach them.

MADAME PINCE: This is a library! Not a rumpus room! Quiet yourselves or leave this place immediately!

The Gryffindors share a smirking glance before opening their textbooks and studying silently.