Bellatrix and Narcissa

December 25, 1975

BELLATRIX approaches the west balcony door and swiftly opens it.

BELLATRIX: Step out here.

NARCISSA silently obeys, stepping out into the cold winter night. The balcony, however, is magically heatened and emulates a warm glow. NARCISSA leans over the railing and gazes over the snowy grounds.

BELLATRIX: (crossing her arms) What the hell is wrong with you?

NARCISSA: Too many things.

BELLATRIX: You know, I thought I could have expected better behavior from you.

NARCISSA: (laughing) Funny. Our parents used to say the same thing to me.

BELLATRIX: Shocking.

NARCISSA: (spitefully) I just wish I knew how to handle all of- this. I wish I knew where my husband went every other night-

BELLATRIX: That's rich, coming from you. After you request that you keep your nose clean from my affairs? Especially after I try my best to handle my business without your input-

NARCISSA: (turning on her) Well, maybe I want to be included in this!

BELLATRIX: (sarcastically) Oh, well, please pardon me, I had no knowledge of your high ambitions to become a Death Eater!

NARCISSA: I didn't! But when my sister and my husband are both wrapped up in this nonsense, it's kind of difficult to stay out!

BELLATRIX: What on earth do you want from me, Cissy?

NARCISSA: All I asked was for you to protect my husband at all costs.

BELLATRIX: And he's fine! I'm in more danger than he is, at this point!

NARCISSA: (hesitating) Okay. I'm sorry. It's just- I just need to know-

BELLATRIX: Know what?

NARCISSA: Everything! Starting with what the hell is going on with the Department of Mysteries!

BELLATRIX: (quietly) I told you that I barely understand that place-

NARCISSA: Then tell me what you do understand.

BELLATRIX: (walking over to the balcony and resting her hands on the railing) The Dark Lord has requested that we put a spy inside the Department of Mysteries. An Unspeakable who can give us information.

NARCISSA: Rookwood.

BELLATRIX: Precisely. There's something inside that Department that the Dark Lord wants- and he wants it desperately.

NARCISSA: Like- a weapon? Or a powerful wand?

BELLATRIX: It could be anything.

NARCISSA: Bella, what- what is the purpose of that Department? Why does it exist?

BELLATRIX: It is devoted to studying the most complex areas of magic that humans have ever delved into. Time, space, knowledge, death- there is even a room that is kept locked at all times. I cannot begin to attempt to comprehend it.

NARCISSA: And you're going to break into it? Again?

BELLATRIX: I'll do whatever the Dark Lord asks of me. I am his most devoted servant.

NARCISSA: (coldly) And you really think that blindly following him is the best decision?

BELLATRIX: I am not blind, Narcissa. When the Dark Lord takes over, I will be rewarded beyond recognition. That is when the Black family name will be regarded at the highest honor.

NARCISSA: But you cannot deny that joining the Knights of Walpurgis is dangerous for our family-

BELLATRIX: Absolutely not! These are great things we are on the verge of accomplishing. I do what I do to protect this family-

NARCISSA: (laughing) Really? You? You truly think that what you're doing is great?

BELLATRIX: I do.

NARCISSA: (stepping up to her sister) Well. You might believe that we're safe, but the truth is we're put in danger more and more every day. Someone has to protect this family the right way. Out of devotion to our loved ones instead of out of an unhealthy obsession over a Dark Lord. Someone has to know the moral difference between right and wrong.

NARCISSA exits the balcony, leaving BELLATRIX breathless and bitter.