The Slug Club V

September 5, 1975

HORACE: Welcome, welcome, please make yourselves at home!

In HORACE'S magically expanded office, a line of decorations and food has been set for his regular dinner party.

LILY: Thank you so much for inviting us, Professor.

HORACE: Ah, Ms. Evans. For the star Potions student in the school to attend my party, the pleasure is all mine.

MARLENE: (whispering) I don't think I'm staying here long.

LILY: Oh, hush. Severus!

LILY walks over to where SEVERUS is standing with a few of his Slytherin friends.

SEVERUS: Hey, Lily.

LILY: Some party, right?

SEVERUS: The food's better than what they serve in the Great Hall, I suppose.

LILY: How have classes been going for you?

SEVERUS: Pretty easy so far. Can't wait for the end of the year, though.

EMMA: (walking over to them) Well, well, well. What do we have here?

SEVERUS: Hey, Emma.

EMMA: Why are you wasting your time talking to Gryffindors, Severus? Everyone knows they're headed for last place this year.

SEVERUS: Not everything revolves around the Quidditch pitch, Emma.

LILY: You've been made Captain this year, haven't you?

EMMA: So you've heard. You'd best go warn that Potter friend of yours that he better step up his game for the first match of the year.

LILY: (coldly) Gryffindor has a pretty impressive team this year. Perhaps it's you that should be concerned.

EMMA: (laughing) With Longbottom? Is that a joke?

LILY: He was made Head Boy for a reason, Vanity.

EMMA: (stepping closer) Well, Evans, you'd best warn that Black degenerate friend of yours that his brother is set to join Slytherin's team, so he may want to think twice about playing Quidditch this year.

LILY: (smiling) You're trying to get Regulus on Slytherin's team to scare off Sirius? Nice try. Sirius is a better flyer than you think. You'd best say some prayers before the match, Emma, dear.

EMMA: (scowling) Come on, Severus. This party blows.

SEVERUS offers LILY an apologetic look before he and EMMA depart the office. MARLENE approaches LILY with a drink.

MARLENE: What was that all about?

LILY: That miserable Emma Vanity just spewing threats about Quidditch, of all things.

MARLENE: I never liked her. So, she's friends with Snape now?

LILY: I suppose.

MARLENE: Well, she's a creepy girl, he's a creepy bloke. I guess it makes sense. I don't even know why you still talk to him.

LILY: He's my friend, Mar. He helped me through a lot of stuff in the past.

MARLENE: Well, with all this talk about Dark Arts and things, all I'm saying is that once we get out of here, there's only two paths to follow. Which do you think he's going to take?

LILY gazes at the door where SEVERUS left, and hesitates to answer.

MARLENE: (drinking from her glass) Lily? Earth to Lily? Come on, I asked you a question- what choice do you think he's gonna make?

LILY: Hopefully the right one.