This Is The World We Live In

August 21, 1975

Back in the high office of the Ministry of Magic, NARCISSA, MAFALDA, and LUCIUS stand around one of the high tables, drinking champagne and growing more comfortable with their setting.

MAFALDA: So. What's Arthur Weasley doing here, anyway? I thought this luncheon was for wizarding elite only.

LUCIUS: Yeah, well. The new Minister's pretty fond of him. Apparently they worked together in the past.

NARCISSA: How many kids do they have now?

MAFALDA: Two, I think. Rumor has it she's pregnant with the third right now.

NARCISSA: Can you imagine having three kids? I could barely handle one, I think.

LUCIUS: Well, what if I want at least four?

NARCISSA smiles and lightly smacks LUCIUS on the shoulder.

NARCISSA: I'm the wife. I make the decisions about these things.

MAFALDA: Good for you, Cissy.

NARCISSA: Yeah, yeah. (She gazes across the room and shakes her head) God, look at this place. What a bad joke.

LUCIUS: What about it?

NARCISSA: (finishing a glass of wine and beginning to pour another one) I mean, look around you. We've got at least four or five people over there who are so deep in Dumbledore's pocket they couldn't get out if they tried, and we've got about three Death Eaters, including you, my handsome husband. And the rest are people like Dolores, who'd probably lose their minds if war broke out.

LUCIUS: What's your point?

NARCISSA: It just seems so asinine to have to put on these fake public displays of peace when half the people here obviously despise one another.

MAFALDA: Oh, come now, Narcissa. This is the world we live in. This is what being a socialite requires. You've got to put on a false smile and pretend like everything's alright when it's not.

LUCIUS: She's right, Cissy. We've got to at least act like we're able to cooperate with one another, if you have any hope of preventing a war.

NARCISSA: (heavily) Is that what the Dark Lord thinks?

LUCIUS: (hesitating) The Dark Lord has much bigger plans ahead.

NARCISSA: Like what, may I ask?

MAFALDA: (glancing around her) Come on, Cissy. You know we can't talk about this right now.

NARCISSA: Well, then. I guess I'll have to have a good old sister-to-sister chat if I'm to learn any new information.

LUCIUS: Cissy, please. Bella can't tell you anymore than I can.

NARCISSA: All right, fine. I'm tired, anyway. This party blows, let's go home.

MAFALDA nods heavily and waves NARCISSA and LUCIUS goodbye as they DisApparate from the office. MAFALDA gazes at the spot where they left before rejoining the party.