Minerva's Office

January 26, 1976

MINERVA: In!

AVERY, MULCIBER, and SEVERUS are quickly ushered into MINERVA'S office. MINERVA stands behind her desk, pursing her lips and looking furious.

MINERVA: What do you three have to say for yourselves?

AVERY: We're sorry, Professor.

MINERVA: Hurting an innocent bystander in the middle of the corridors? What on earth was going through your heads? What caused you to act this way? Explain yourselves!

SEVERUS: It was just supposed to be a joke, Professor-

MINERVA: You have a very sick sense of humor, then, Mr. Snape. I expected much better of you, being a Prefect.

SEVERUS: Yes, ma'am.

MINERVA: I still have yet to receive an answer. What made you want to pull a prank on Mary MacDonald, of all people?

MULCIBER: Because-

MINERVA: Because she's a half-blood? Tell me that isn't true.

The three Slytherin boys remain silent.

MINERVA: This a very serious issue. I don't know what you three think you know about our Wizarding society, but I will not have acts of prejudice against those of Muggle birth in this school. Am I understood?

SEVERUS: Yes, Professor.

MINERVA: You're lucky both the Headmaster and Professor Slughorn are unavailable tonight, but bear in mind I will be conferring with both of them about this incident, as well as giving the three of you detention for a week. And let me say that if I see any other behavior mirroring this nonsense, I can assure you that whoever is responsible will be on the next train home. Get out of my sight.

AVERY, MULCIBER, and SEVERUS quickly exit the office. MINERVA sits down at her desk and rests her head in her hands, breathing heavily and appearing anxious.