Charms

March 17, 1976

In the Charms classroom, PROFESSOR FLITWICK is lecturing at the head of the room. EMMA and ROSIER sit near the back.

EMMA: What have you heard?

ROSIER: There's talk of another Ministry break-in. Soon.

EMMA: Where?

FLITWICK: Vanity and Rosier! Pay attention, if you please!

EMMA: (taking out her notes) Yes, sir.

FLITWICK: As I was saying, the Undetectable Extension Charm is tricky to undertake, and when performed successfully, it is liable to be used in many illegal activities, which is why its use is strictly monitored by the Ministry. However, we will practice a light use of it today. Can anyone give me the incantation? Miss Vanity?

EMMA: (flipping through her textbook) Oh, umm- is it- capacious extremis?

FLITWICK: Very good. Now, your assignment for now is to attempt this spell on your individual bookbags, and see if you can fit a yard stick inside. (He raises his wand, and immediately yard sticks are produced on every desk) Carry on!

EMMA: When is this happening?

ROSIER: I'm not sure. Within a few weeks, I think.

EMMA: Do you think- we should go?

ROSIER: What? Leave the Castle and join the Death Eaters?

EMMA: Come on! This involves us just as much as them. Our times almost up at Hogwarts and we're gonna have to decide what to do when we get out of here. Might as well be now.

ROSIER: I dunno, Emma- this is dangerous.

EMMA: What? We can sneak out of the Castle just fine. Being skilled with a broomstick has its privileges.

ROSIER: You want to just hop on a broomstick and fly to London to fight by You-Know-Who's side?

EMMA: It's what we need to do. We must state where our loyalties lie sooner or later.

ROSIER: This is big, Emma. Are you absolutely sure-?

EMMA: (confidently) I'm sure.

ROSIER: All right. I'll find out what's going on soon.

FLITWICK: How are we doing over here, you two?

EMMA and ROSIER quickly pull out their wands and attempt the Undetectable Extension Charm on their bags as the Charms class continues.