Emma's Request

September 1, 1975

Aboard the Hogwarts Express, the corridors are heavily crowded with students finding their seats. In the Slytherin section, EMMA, ROSIER, and WILKES head towards their favorite compartment towards the back.

ROSIER: Coming, Emma?

EMMA: Yeah, I'll be there in a second. Go on without me.

ROSIER shrugs and continues back. EMMA glances in a few compartments, and then quickly enters one containing SEVERUS and REGULUS, who stare at her questioningly.

SEVERUS: (sitting back against the window) Can we help you?

EMMA: Just fancied a quick chat, Severus. You're Regulus Black, right? (She nods towards REGULUS).

REGULUS: Yeah.

EMMA: Emma Vanity. Nice to meet you. (She holds out her hand and sits down next to REGULUS).

SEVERUS: And what does the all-star Slytherin Quidditch Captain and most popular girl in school want with us lowly commoners?

REGULUS: (astoundedly) You're the Quidditch Captain?

EMMA: (smiling) Yeah, just got the badge. Should be exciting. I heard you were thinking of trying out for the team?

REGULUS: Oh, well- yeah, I mean- I thought I would try for it-

EMMA: You should. We need a new Seeker.

SEVERUS: Interesting. What makes you want to have Regulus Black on your team so badly, Emma, darling?

EMMA: I just need to assemble an elite team this year, Severus. It's Quidditch, you wouldn't understand.

SEVERUS: This wouldn't have anything to do with getting Black's estranged brother on our team to make the inevitable Gryffindor versus Slytherin match all the more dramatic, would it?

EMMA: Oh, shut it, Severus. My teammates told me Regulus is a good flier, so I just wanted to see if he wanted to join the team, that's all. And-

SEVERUS: And?

EMMA glances out into the train corridor once more, then lowers her voice.

EMMA: Word on the street is- two years ago you had some sort of Dark Arts training in some secret room with Narcissa Black's sister.

SEVERUS: Narcissa Malfoy.

EMMA: Whatever. Is it true?

SEVERUS: Maybe. Why do you ask?

EMMA: (strongly) Because I want to be a part of it. I want to do it again. This year.

SEVERUS: Really. You want to be a part of some illegal Dark Arts training?

EMMA: Yeah. So what?

SEVERUS: You're the queen of the school! Every teacher's pet, never so much as lost a point for Slytherin since you stepped foot in the Castle. What makes you want to be such a rule-breaker all the sudden?

EMMA: Listen, all that stuff- Prefect, Quidditch Captain- it's all rubbish, it doesn't mean anything. Once we get out of here, no one's gonna care which House got the Quidditch Cup or how many points you earned. But I know that a war is coming. And I need to be prepared. So if you can teach me what you know, and I can guide Regulus through Quidditch, and assist you with your O.W.L.s, Severus- I think the three us can help each other this year.

SEVERUS: (smiling) This is remarkable. I've never seen one of the popular kids think so proactively before.

EMMA: So you'll do it?

SEVERUS: I can help you with the basics. But I'm no expert- an ideal mentor would be Bellatrix Lestrange.

EMMA: But you learned from her. You know what she does.

SEVERUS: All right. I guess we can give it a try. Regulus, what do you say?

REGULUS: You'll really help me with Quidditch?

EMMA: (smiling) Of course I will. We can practice before tryouts to be sure you're ready. You'll be on the team in no time.

REGULUS: (excitedly) Okay. It's a plan.

SEVERUS: (smirking) Looks like we have quite the year ahead of us.

EMMA: Indeed we do. I'll see you guys in the common room tonight, okay?

EMMA gathers up her trunk and exits the compartment. SEVERUS and REGULUS exchange an excited glance as the train continues to run through the countryside.