22

Mrs. Adams loved the idea of bringing me over and my parents were so glad they sort of disposed me to her. "Remember Isabelle, not a word when you get there, don't let him know you're there, just allow him rant as we walk in the door."

I laughed at Mrs. Adams before saying. "I remember."

"Good because I don't want Dean pretending to be quiet if he sees you first."

I smiled and replayed the different scenes that I expected to happen in my head. Sabbath looked at me with suspicion. "Isabelle do you...?"

"What?"

"Do you like my brother?"

"No! I just can't wait to see his face." I lied. Partially.

Sabbath let out a sigh of relief. "Good because I don't think that Dean's the relationship kind of person."

"Meaning?"

"He'll break your heart?"

I frowned, exactly what I feared.

***

"Dean we're home!" Mrs. Adams announced, opening the door for both me and Sabbath to walk in.

I heard footsteps and a male voice coming downstairs. "Took you guys long enough,  grandma can help her neighbors by herself, you don't have to help her all the time, she's not even that old."

I stood confused and turned to Sabbath. "Is that Dean?" I whispered.

Sabbath nodded trying to control her laugh.

"Dean come downstairs!" Mrs. Adams yelled.

"That's what I'm doing!" Dean yelled back. "You said you left me extra cupcakes in the fridge well guess what the lovely Sabbath who you cherish so dearly too-" Dean stopped dead in his tracks at the sight of me.  "What is she doing here?"

"She..." Sabbath walked up to her brother trying hard not to laugh. "decided to visit, problem?"

"You should have seen your face brother..." She placed a hand on Dean's shoulders and smiled. "Priceless." Doing the perfect sign with her fingers,  she walked away in laughter.

Dean ignored his sister and with both hands in his pockets, his eyes scanned me from head to toe. "Hi." I finally said.

Dean smiled but avoided my eyes. "Hi."

"Dean you won't mind showing Isabelle around the house, would you?"

"Uh..." Dean thought of what to say. "I'm actually busy she seems to be friends with..." Dean scratched the back of his neck. "What's your name...? Sabbath? Let Sabbath do it."

Sabbath gave a fake smile. "Oh how lovely, my little brother forgot my name!"

"I'm sorry, what'd you say?" Dean pretended not to hear.

Sabbath faked a pity expression . "Oh first memory loss and now you're deaf, how sad."

"Mmm..." Dean shook his head. "No maybe I don't listen to rubbish."

"Maybe you blah blah blah blah."

"What? What's that?"

"Blah blah blah!"

"Blah blah what?"

"Blah!" Sabbath stuck her tongue out.

"What?"

"Just shut up and take the girl around the house!"

Dean laughed before facing me. "Come on Isabelle."

I followed Dean to the places he took me. I wasn't paying attention, I couldn't pay attention. I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that Dean was talking so casually with me.
"Okay spit it out." He said noticing how absent minded I was.

"Spit what out?"

"You're acting weird, this isn't Isabelle." Dean dropped walking and paid full attention to me. We were outside the house close to the garden.

I smiled. "Well... It's not everyday that you talk to me and seeing you do it now feels so unrealistic."

"So basically you think that you're in a fantasy land where I'm actually talking to you."

I nodded. "Something like that. It's strange seeing you active and not quiet."

"Who says I'm quiet? I'm silent."

I looked up at Dean. "There's a difference?"

"Well for me quiet means being calm or shy but silent is just not speaking in general."

Dean continued, "just because I don't speak doesn't mean I'm shy. I just don't waste effort on meaningless activities."

"So that's the reason you're silent?  You think that talking is a meaningless activity?"

Dean looked at me then shook his head. "That's far too personal Isabelle, let's not talk about it."

Dean walked ahead towards the garden. "Are you coming?" He asked.

I took a few steps forward then stopped. "Wow it's beautiful..."  I said.

"You should come see it at night, you'd be surprised." 

Did Dean just invite me to his house at night? "Is that an invite?" I asked.

"Depends on if you say yes."

I wrote a book back in junior high school about laws that guys should follow if they didn't want a girl to fall in love with them. Right now, Dean was breaking my laws.

"Yes."