Five*

Chapter Five

Joni

May 22, 2018

It's today. My prom is tonight and I'm really nervous. I've imagined what this night would be like forever and what if it turns into a disaster? I know things usually don't go to plan but, ugh.

"Where is it," I went through my whole closet a few times and I couldn't find my dress. "No no no. This isn't happening." I did a final look through my closet. Nope. My dresser, nope. "Ah, yes..." I found it in the most obvious place. On my desk chair. Good going Joni.

Dana

"You look hella sexy bro." Cole started to fix my tie and would occasionally take a step back to glance at me overall.

"You checkin me out?" I tried to impersonate a female the best I could. I think I nailed it. I did the hair flip thingy and everything.

"What? No..." He punched my shoulder and handed me the box with Joni's corsage in it. "Ready?"

I sighed, "No, not really."

"You'll be fine. Now go before you're be late."

"Ugh... Do I have to?"

"Are you stupid?"

"I was kidding. Alrighty, see ya soon bro." We did our handshake and I was on my way out.

"You're not taking your hat?" Cole had my hat in his hand and I thought about it for a second before shaking my head 'no'. Joni always preferred I didn't wear a hat 24/7.

I set the corsage in the passenger seat and stuffed the key in the ignition. I stopped and sat back in my seat. I'm so nervous... Joni is just... She is an amazing girl and I don't want to screw up this night for her. I turned the key and drove over to Joni's.

"Alright." I went through my mental checklist before knocking on her door. Corsage, tie, pocket; I patted on my pocket to see if I remembered to bring it (I did). I went to knock on the door but Joni answered it before I could.

"Hi! I heard the car door." I remained silent because I was mesmerized by-her. God, she's beautiful. "Dana?"

"Huh? S-Sorry. Wow..." She blushed before hugging me. Probably trying to cover up that smile on her face.

"Is that him, honey?"

"Yeah... It is." Joni's mom greeted my at the door and she invited me in for pictures. Shyly, I obliged and she took a few photos of me and Joni. One, where I had to put the corsage on her and the smile on her face was the best thing yet. At least I know I'm doing something right so far.

We were finally able to escape and be on our way to the prom. After I got in the car myself, the first thing I did was kiss her. "You look stunning, babe."

"Thanks," she smiled at the ground, "maybe we should head out."

"Right." I kissed her again and started the car. I held her hand the whole ride there, which was only five minutes but who cares. I walked out of my car and opened the door for her. "Ready, my lady?"

"Totally." I held her hand and we walked into her high school. It was pretty dark in there. They had these, like, lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling by some string scattered in the room, which looked kinda cool to be honest. Seniors were dancing to some pop song and socializing and stuff.

"So, what do you wanna do?"

"Well, I'm kind of a loner since I don't know anyway here really besides you and I can't dance so I think I'm just gonna sit here and do nothing." She smiled at me and I pouted.