Chapter 37

The months have flown by. I graduated a couple months ago, I told my family that Zack and I were officially dating- they didn't seem too shocked but were very happy for us. Zack's family on the other hand wasn't as happy to hear that news but it's to be expected. We both got temporary jobs and when we earned enough money, we decided to move out of our little town and the state all together. So now here we are in California and we're living the dream. At first we were kinda scared because of all the fires and earthquakes, but we're getting used to it. Zack works for a fire department close to our house, and I work in an animal shelter that is a no kill shelter. Both of our jobs pay extremely well and we've never been happier. You might be wondering why we moved all the way across the state, and the answer to that is simple. Where we use to live has a lot of bad history for us. Zack's family kept trying to tear us apart and we just weren't happy. We wanted a fresh start away from all the problems. We wanted to go somewhere, where nobody knew anything about us, where we weren't judged for being "emo". Sure we're labeled here as well but there's such a diverse group of people here, it doesn't matter as much to us. And yes, we were in a crappy living situation when we first moved here but that was the past and it doesn't matter anymore. What matters is that we're finally happy and successful. The front door opens and I hear the footfalls of the love of my life heading in my direction. "Jade I'm ba-" He stops short as he sees what I have next me. "Please don't tell me that those are staying." He says as he points to the newborn kittens laying in an open cage next to me. I smile meekly before standing up and smiling. "I LOOOOOVE YOOOOOUUUU!!"   I drawl out as I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him. He kiss me back and then groans. "Why can I never say no to you? First it was a dog, then it was TWO parakeets, then came a chicken that lives in our backyard, now there's FIVE baby kittens in our kitchen! What is this? The beginning of a zoo?!" I gasp and hug him. "I KNEW you'd agree to it eventually!!" He smacks his head when he realizes the trap he just fell in and agreed to without any words. "I'm gonna start dinner. Move your newest project elsewhere and then come help me peel potatoes." He goes to the sink to wash his hands, as I gently pick up the cage and move the babies into the living room, before going back to Zack. I pick up a potato to start peeling when I realize Zack has my peeler. I look at him questioningly. He gets closer and kisses me. "I love you too Jade, now get started on those potatoes."He tells me as he hands me the peeler and slaps my behind making me squeal. This really is the life. So Dear Heart, Really?! It took you this long to find the right guy? Well good job- FINALLY!!!! I've never been happier.