Chapter 28

Moving into my grandma's house was a long process, even with the movers. It took about three hours and by then I was beat. Flopping down on my bed I let out a sigh and close my eyes, getting lost into my thoughts. Two years ago if someone would've told me everything that happens and what I would go through, I would probably believe them. Tired of being tired, I haul myself off my bed and into the dining room. Grandma sees me and rushes over to me. "Go get ready, we're going to Aunt Laura's for dinner." Groaning I walk into the bathroom to rebrush my hair and we head out. On the ride there, my favorite song comes onto the radio: I write sins not tragedies by Panic at the Disco. I turn the volume up super loud and start jamming out, until all of a sudden there's nothing but silence. Turning my head, I look at my grandma. "Hey!" I shout. "Stop putting on trashy songs!"Grandma yells at me. Offended I turn the music back on and guard the power button. The songs ends as we get to my aunt and uncle's house. Parking the car, we step out and get bombarded with kids and dogs. The girls hug me as we walk into the house together. The night goes well until dessert. "So Jade, where's Zack? We haven't seen him around lately." Swallowing my bite of pie, I hesitantly answer. "Uhmmm he's in rehab." I say quietly while staring at my food. Everything goes silent for two minutes, then Aunt Laura speaks up. "Why did he go to rehab?" Feeling nauseous I answer. "I put him, myself, my friends and my family in. We all really needed it." She just nods her head and you can feel the tension in the room. The silence is deafening, standing I get up and throw my pie away before disappearing outside on the back deck. The second I close the door I know they start talking about me. Tears fall down my face as I look into the woods and mentally apologize to everyone I've wronged. A while later, grandma comes out to collect me and tell me we're leaving. Nobody bids me goodbye; so sadly I get in the car and cry some more while looking out the window. When we get home I dart into my room and lock the door. Going into my closet I dig around a bit until I find what I'm looking for. Emerging with a cigarette in hand I rummage around in my sock drawer for my lighter. I'm just about to light it when something inside me clicks- this is what got me in rehab in the first place. Tearing it apart, I pop open a corner of my screen and throw it out. Sighing I plop on the bed and breathe in a couple of deep breaths before getting ready for bed and falling asleep. In the morning when I wake, I head to the dining room and see a note on the table from grandma. "Went out, will be back soon." Is all it says. Sighing I go on with my day and wait for Dear old Grandma.