Chapter 34

Weeks had gone by and school is almost out. I've been dutifully ignoring everyone and trying to just make it out of this damn school. It feels like everyone I talk to has something upsetting to tell me and I'm just over it. Zack and I haven't talked since that cold winter day- and I'm still pretty upset over it all. It's around noon and I had decided to skip school today- I need a personal day to just chill. All is well until I hear a billion knocks on the front door. Slowly, I get up and answer the door, only to find Sonya standing there. Unable to stop it from coming out I groan. "Sonya! What are you doing here?! What the hell are you? My personal stalker?! Everywhere I go, you're there. IT'S ANNOYING!!!" Unbothered by my outburst, she smiles and comes in my house. Annoying as usual, she starts. "Are you going to prom? You are aren't you? Well I decided we should go to the salon and get our hair and nails done for tonight. I mean sure it's at seven but like-". I quickly cut her off. "I am most definitely NOT going to prom. I have literally nothing- not even a dress and I DO NOT want to go, I don't have anyone to go with either. So now that we've figured that out, you can leave." I tell her rudely. Shocked, her mouth is hanging open and she goes off. "WHAT?! YOU DON'T HAVE A DRESS?!  Well it's a good thing I have an extra, you see I couldn't decide which one I liked better so I just got both. I was going to get your opinion on them but I know which one you can wear." Before I could process anything with this non-stop chatterbox, she grabs my hand and leads me out the front door and into her car where we drive to the salon. Arriving at the salon, made me want to puke. I hadn't done anything like this since my mom's wedding. Taking a deep breath, I got out of the car because I just knew I didn't have any other option. Upon entering the place, made me lightheaded with all the fumes. Looking around, I saw girls getting their nails done by professionals, people tanning, older women in a cloud of hairspray. It was too much. Once again not paying attention, I don't notice a lady had grabbed my hand and was leading me to a salon chair. Getting situated, she quickly gets to works. Time goes by and there's lots of snipping going on, I see a lot of my hair on the floor, my head hurts from all the tugging and brushing and the unknown this and that, that she's doing to my hair. I haven't been able too see what my hair looks like due to strict instructions from Sonya, that I' be faced away from the mirror and unable to see the final result.' What a headache she is. After God knows how long, I'm released from the chair and find a very happy looking Sonya with her hair all done up. She squeals and tells me how great I look. Thinking that's the end, I go towards the front door, only to realize Sonya isn't behind me. Instead she's at the nail section and is waving me over. Letting out a sigh, I wander over and plop in the seat next to her. The woman in front of me immediately gets to work. Too long for my liking later, I have a nice french manicure. We FINALLY leave and go to her house where she instructs me to stay in the car. A few minutes later, she has dresses in arm, and hangs them in the backseat, before we once again head off, but this time it's back to my house. Arriving home and entering, I notice my grandma is home cooking dinner. Sonya rushes me to my room before we see my grandma and have to stop and chat. Once in my room, she hands me a dress and some shoes. "Go put this on and show me when you're done." I nod my head and go to leave to the bathroom when she stops me and tells me to just stay in here and change with her. Not in the mood to put up a fight, I do as she says and head to a corner of my room, away from her. Removing the dress from the bag, I take notice that it's a deep blue and there's jewels on it. I slip it on and it's a perfect fit. I look down and see that it's longer in the back and shorter in the front. It's also strapless. Before I can admire much more of myself, Sonya is yelling at me to put the shoes on and then go into the bathroom and look at myself. The shoes are nothing too spectacular, just a pair of blue heels which I quickly get on and follow Sonya's orders to see myself. As I get into the bathroom, Sonya screams excitedly for me to close my eyes. I hear the lights flick on as she tells me to open my eyes and when I do- I'm shocked. I see myself but I look nothing like I ever have. I look like a totally different person! My hair has been put up in a lovely up-do that I'm totally unable to even explain. But the makeup- Oh.MY.God! My eyes are done in a blue smokey eye with a nude shimmery lipstick. I can't believe this is me!! Sonya is in a lavender dress with matching shoes. She grabs my hand and leads me into the living room where we run into my grandma who gushes endlessly about how good we both looks and runs off to find her camera. After many photos, Sonya tells me we have to go. I hug my grandma and head out the door, only to see Sonya speeding away. At a loss for words. I stand there with my mouth open and not a single thought going through my head. I hear a gasp and look. There in a suit and tie, is Zack. With my mind spinning, I lift up the sides of my dress, and slowly walk down the stairs. Zack meets me at the bottom and we both kind of  awkwardly stand there looking at each other. "Jade- Wow you look- Wow! You look gorgeous!!" He says in an airy, awe-struck voice. I giggle. "Thanks, you don't look too bad yourself." We stand there a minute longer until an invisible light bulb goes off in his head. "Uh we should probably get going, Don't wanna be late." Before I know it, He rushes to his car and opens the passenger side door. Still pretty clueless, I walk to his car and get in. Once I'm securely in, he closes the door and gets in on his side and starts to drive. As we drive I'm finally able to think and a very "smart" question pops in my head. "Hey Zack?" I ask quietly. "Yeah?" He answers, then turns too look at me, before looking back at the road. "Uhm... Where are we going exactly?" I ask while fiddling with my fingers. He lets out a little laugh and tells me. "To prom of course! Where else?" "Oh." I respond dumbly. Why didn't I figure that out? I look out the window and watch the dark shape of trees pass us by. It's a little while until I get the courage to ask another question but when I do, I'm rather displeased with the answer. "Why are you bringing me to prom? I thought you hated me." I blurt out. I look at him, but he keeps his gaze on the road. I hear a sigh escape his lips and finally he answers. "Let's just have a good night- Yeah?" I nod my head and look back out the window. The car becomes filled with music and I just pray this night will end well and I won't screw anything up.